Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing 142 - It's Weiz to Sell Guyz  (Read 880 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Experimental Brewing 142 - It's Weiz to Sell Guyz
« on: December 03, 2021, 12:35:45 pm »
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-142-its-weiz-sell-guyz

It's been a tough few years for homebrewers and competitions - we're talking with the Weiz Guyz Brewers out of Loveland, Colorado about their annual Sweetheart's Revenge and what makes it unique as well as the outstanding Colorado Strong program!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 12:46:19 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Experimental Brewing 142 - It's Weiz to Sell Guyz
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 06:18:59 pm »
I didn’t see a post on it, but Drew’s podcast with Sugar Creek (Brew Files 110) about Malted Corn was excellent.  I’ll definitely be using some of this in my next Cream Ale.  I wonder about percentages…would malted corn be a 1:1 sub with flaked?  And what’s the best way to compensate for the better efficiency?  Not necessarily looking for answers to these questions, but just something to chew on.  Great show.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 12:45:44 am »
I didn’t see a post on it, but Drew’s podcast with Sugar Creek (Brew Files 110) about Malted Corn was excellent.  I’ll definitely be using some of this in my next Cream Ale.  I wonder about percentages…would malted corn be a 1:1 sub with flaked?  And what’s the best way to compensate for the better efficiency?  Not necessarily looking for answers to these questions, but just something to chew on.  Great show.

Thanks for the love! - so far as Ryan and I have been trying the stuff out, we've just been going 1:1 - so for Jenny that's like 21% corn.

I'm stoked to try and make an all corn malt grisette/saison because why wouldn't I?
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 07:35:03 am »
I brewed a cream ale with Sugar Creek Bloody Butcher malt on Oct 20, 2021. I used 2 pounds malted corn for a 5 gallon batch. I didn't notice any difference in mash or brewhouse efficiency (was 68%). The beer was OG=1.048, FG=1.010. I also used Sugar Creek 2-row malt. Bittering hops were magnum with a 10 minute and flameout addition of Willamette. Mash step temp was 153F. This was the best cream ale I have ever made!

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 07:58:39 am »
I brewed a cream ale with Sugar Creek Bloody Butcher malt on Oct 20, 2021. I used 2 pounds malted corn for a 5 gallon batch. I didn't notice any difference in mash or brewhouse efficiency (was 68%). The beer was OG=1.048, FG=1.010. I also used Sugar Creek 2-row malt. Bittering hops were magnum with a 10 minute and flameout addition of Willamette. Mash step temp was 153F. This was the best cream ale I have ever made!

Awesome to hear this.  Did you notice any red color from the Bloody Butcher?

Maybe I wasn't quite understanding the efficiency part of the discussion, but I thought the guy from Sugar Creek said something along the lines of Corn Malt will give more gravity points than flaked corn, pound for pound.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 08:40:49 am »
No color difference I think it would take a lot to get a red color? I think they did get higher efficiency than with flaked corn. Regardless it make a nice cream ale! I used their Amanda white corn with flaked corn and it was good to but I preferred the Red Corn.  I plan on using all Amanda Corn in a future brew. Have to do a side by side with the red and white corn. FYI - I used Lallemand BRY-97 yeast for the cream ale.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 01:16:47 pm »
Maybe I wasn't quite understanding the efficiency part of the discussion, but I thought the guy from Sugar Creek said something along the lines of Corn Malt will give more gravity points than flaked corn, pound for pound.

I'd have to go relisten, but I remember Caleb being specific about losing efficiency when doing 100% corn malt. Not recalling the flipped argument.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 01:44:57 pm »
I haven't done corn but I did use the malted black rice from Sugar Creek which is supposed to give a purplish tint. I used 20% malted black rice and 80% pilsner. I think under the right light if you really squinted you could see something. It might be different with corn, or you might need to use more, but I wouldn't count on a dramatic color contribution.