Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water chemistry? Did I do something wrong?  (Read 849 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Water chemistry? Did I do something wrong?
« on: December 28, 2021, 06:38:25 pm »
I’m trying to RDWHAHB, but this is kind of weird to me so I thought I would ask the question. This is my first time after 15 years of Brewing getting into water chemistry And using my tapwater instead of store-bought spring water since I got a new water filter at my home.. Got a Ward labs report, and put it into Bru’n water for my house porter and brewed today. I didn’t actually do that much additions: 2.4 g calcium chloride added to the mash water, and 1.5 g calcium chloride added to the sparge water. In addition, I added 24.3 mL of 10% phosphoric acid to the sprage water as dictated in the spreadsheet. That’s all. The weird thing is after I added the calcium chloride and phosphoric acid to the sparge water and it was heating up, it turned milky opaque and after I ran it out of the hot liquor tank, there was a bunch of white sediment on the hot liquor tank and heating element. It did not happen with the mash water. I’m assuming it has something to do with the acid. Did I calculate wrong or do something else incorrect that caused The precipitate? Will it affect the final beer? Also kind of weird today that my buckets of starsan to sanitize my conical we’re kind of cloudy as well. Any input. Thanks. Just for reference, this is the ward labs report. By the way, I hit 5.55 pH in my mash which is pretty much what I was going for. Thanks in advance.

Ph 8.3
TDS est, ppm 311
Electrical conductivity, mmho/cm 0.52
Cation/Anion me/L 5.3/4.9

ppm
Na. 48
K. 2
Ca. 49
Mg. 8
Total Hardness, CaCO3 156
Nitrate. 0.2 SAFE
Sulfate. 21
Cl. 30
CO3. 1.8
Bicarbonate, HCO3. 163
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3. 136
Total P. 0.02
Total Fe. <0.01
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Water chemistry? Did I do something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 08:13:05 pm »
This is a Ward lab test result from filtered water?  300 TDS seems high for filtered water to me.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 08:42:49 pm »
Yes, it is a Halo 5 whole house filtration system.  The ward test is from house water after it went through the system.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 09:40:04 pm »
Phosphates, formed chemically from the phosphoric acid, are insoluble and will cloud and settle out.  Seems normal.  No worries.  You're getting the results you want and should expect.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jverduin

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 12:11:45 pm »
I’m trying to RDWHAHB, but this is kind of weird to me so I thought I would ask the question. This is my first time after 15 years of Brewing getting into water chemistry And using my tapwater instead of store-bought spring water since I got a new water filter at my home.. Got a Ward labs report, and put it into Bru’n water for my house porter and brewed today. I didn’t actually do that much additions: 2.4 g calcium chloride added to the mash water, and 1.5 g calcium chloride added to the sparge water. In addition, I added 24.3 mL of 10% phosphoric acid to the sprage water as dictated in the spreadsheet. That’s all. The weird thing is after I added the calcium chloride and phosphoric acid to the sparge water and it was heating up, it turned milky opaque and after I ran it out of the hot liquor tank, there was a bunch of white sediment on the hot liquor tank and heating element. It did not happen with the mash water. I’m assuming it has something to do with the acid. Did I calculate wrong or do something else incorrect that caused The precipitate? Will it affect the final beer? Also kind of weird today that my buckets of starsan to sanitize my conical we’re kind of cloudy as well. Any input. Thanks. Just for reference, this is the ward labs report. By the way, I hit 5.55 pH in my mash which is pretty much what I was going for. Thanks in advance.

Ph 8.3
TDS est, ppm 311
Electrical conductivity, mmho/cm 0.52
Cation/Anion me/L 5.3/4.9

ppm
Na. 48
K. 2
Ca. 49
Mg. 8
Total Hardness, CaCO3 156
Nitrate. 0.2 SAFE
Sulfate. 21
Cl. 30
CO3. 1.8
Bicarbonate, HCO3. 163
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3. 136
Total P. 0.02
Total Fe. <0.01
It sounds like this is the first time with your tap water, which has a decent amount of bicarbonate in it. My water is similar with higher bicarbonate and does this all the time when heated. It is some of the bicarbonate coming out of solution. The added brewing salts may be adding to the issue. If I rack my boiled water out of a pot, the white calcium carbonate(?) will remain behind as it didn’t go back into solution.

What you described is very normal for me and my temporary hard water. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 12:45:52 pm »
Thank you everyone. That puts my mind at ease. But does that also mean that the calcium levels that I thought I was getting in the beer are now drastically reduced?  I guess it’s probably still OK since I hit my mash pH.