Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Crap, I am so stupid  (Read 1072 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Crap, I am so stupid
« on: December 23, 2021, 11:01:25 pm »
I kegged and put my new brew in the Kegerator about a week ago.  It has been chilling at about 35 degrees since Saturday.  I just went to check it out, and realized I never turned on my CO2 tank to carb it.  Did I screw up a batch of beer?  I sure hope not, the ingredients cost me about 50 bucks.  LOL.  It has been cold and sitting in the keg, so I think I am ok, but thought I'd throw it out to the experts.  Thoughts? 

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Crap, I am so stupid
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 12:05:13 am »
I kegged and put my new brew in the Kegerator about a week ago.  It has been chilling at about 35 degrees since Saturday.  I just went to check it out, and realized I never turned on my CO2 tank to carb it.  Did I screw up a batch of beer?  I sure hope not, the ingredients cost me about 50 bucks.  LOL.  It has been cold and sitting in the keg, so I think I am ok, but thought I'd throw it out to the experts.  Thoughts?
It should be fine. If you never purged the keg there might be a small amount of oxidation but that won’t ruin the beer.

Cheers

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 07:21:03 am »
Unless you took oxidation countermeasures, it's probably oxidized.
But many don't care or even like oxidation so carbonate and let us know.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 10:03:10 am »
I didn't, i put it in the keg, sealed it up and put it in the kegerator, so I am going to hope for the best.  LOL.  If not, well then I guess another brew day will be sooner than I thought.  LOL.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 10:31:42 am »
Just curious, what was the beer?  You probably might be OK if it is not a really light beer like a pilsner.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 11:09:49 am »
Just curious, what was the beer?  You probably might be OK if it is not a really light beer like a pilsner.

IPA clone.  I am going to let it sit for a few days.  I have to work starting tomorrow anyway, so I won't be able to drink it.  LOL

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 12:37:38 pm »
As Tommy said, it won't ruin the beer. You need to eliminate the head space of oxygen by purging the head space of the keg as soon as it is filled and then put at least a small amount of pressure to keep it sealed (and it's best to purge the keg with Co2 before filling too). So if you didn't do that you will have some oxidation. Keeping it cold slows down the effects of oxidation so you have that going for you. At worst it may shorten the shelf life of the beer but $20 says you will never notice it.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2021, 02:40:45 pm »
As Tommy said, it won't ruin the beer. You need to eliminate the head space of oxygen by purging the head space of the keg as soon as it is filled and then put at least a small amount of pressure to keep it sealed (and it's best to purge the keg with Co2 before filling too). So if you didn't do that you will have some oxidation. Keeping it cold slows down the effects of oxidation so you have that going for you. At worst it may shorten the shelf life of the beer but $20 says you will never notice it.

Thank you.  When I realized it, I filled it with CO2 and let it out, then filled it again, so hopefully that will help.  I will keep you all posted