Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Denny’s wry IPA?  (Read 1652 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Denny’s wry IPA?
« on: December 25, 2021, 05:47:23 pm »
Finally getting around to brewing this in the near future with 1450.  With the push in recent years of upping the dry hop amounts, is 1 oz DryHop still what people are doing?
Also, what is the average FG for most people?
Thanks.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: Denny’s wry IPA?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 07:38:07 am »
I've made it exactly as the recipe states for a dozen years or more. If you start changing things then it won't be Denny Conn's Wry Smile IPA any longer. 
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 08:09:15 am »
Finally getting around to brewing this in the near future with 1450.  With the push in recent years of upping the dry hop amounts, is 1 oz DryHop still what people are doing?
Also, what is the average FG for most people?
Thanks.

That's the way the recipe is.  It doesn't change depending on fads.  FG is usually around 1.013.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 11:05:01 am »
Thanks, that’s what I figured.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 11:09:35 am »
I did a search for it, and could not find it.  Any link?  Sounds like one I would like to try

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 12:13:19 pm »
I did a search for it, and could not find it.  Any link?  Sounds like one I would like to try

It's on the AHA website in the recipe section: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/wry-smile-rye-ipa/

I believe you need to be an AHA member to access this recipe (I just renewed for three years *halo shining*).

kgs
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 12:48:29 pm »

It's on the AHA website in the recipe section: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/wry-smile-rye-ipa/

I believe you need to be an AHA member to access this recipe (I just renewed for three years *halo shining*).

kgs

My bad, sometimes I get a little dense in the grey matter.  LOL.  I just joined too, you would think I would have looked there.  Thanks. 

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 08:15:33 pm »
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/recipes/wry-smile-ryepa

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 08:20:25 am »
If you're an extract brewer you can still brew it as Briess, with Denny's assistance, developed a rye extract.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2022, 03:05:50 pm »
I think I will be brewing this recipe in a week or two (second in waiting in my queue), and as I have been split-batching all my brews lately (to help me learn what different yeasts contribute, relative to each other), thought I might do the smaller half of this batch as a lager.  Yes, no?  Why or why not?  I've got 2nd generation slurries of both Diamond Lager and S-189.  They'll need to be used before they go to waste...  (There's probably a dunkel coming up here soon too, favoring the S-189 for that one I think.)

If a strong 'No' is the consensus, then I'd probably opt for a less 'clean' ale yeast, just to compare with the 'clean' split-half.  Maybe Verdant, as that is one I've been liking a lot lately... 

Sacrilege? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 04:29:09 pm »
I think I will be brewing this recipe in a week or two (second in waiting in my queue), and as I have been split-batching all my brews lately (to help me learn what different yeasts contribute, relative to each other), thought I might do the smaller half of this batch as a lager.  Yes, no?  Why or why not?  I've got 2nd generation slurries of both Diamond Lager and S-189.  They'll need to be used before they go to waste...  (There's probably a dunkel coming up here soon too, favoring the S-189 for that one I think.)

If a strong 'No' is the consensus, then I'd probably opt for a less 'clean' ale yeast, just to compare with the 'clean' split-half.  Maybe Verdant, as that is one I've been liking a lot lately... 

Sacrilege?

A large part of the character of that beer comes from WY1450.  Using another yeast will change it considerably.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2022, 09:06:29 am »

Sacrilege?

A large part of the character of that beer comes from WY1450.  Using another yeast will change it considerably.
The only time I've used liquid yeast in a really long time was when I brewed this beer.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2022, 09:18:07 am »

Agreed - that's why the larger 'half' of the split batch will try to remain as faithful as possible to the original.  It's the other half of the split-batch that I want to experiment with...  to help me learn what another yeast brings to the table when compared against the 'control group' so to speak.  Because I've done so little with lager yeasts so far, I thought that might be an interesting side-by-side contrast to help me learn.  But if you think a lager yeast version would be downright nasty, I'd love suggestions for other contrasts.  (Aside from US-05 and Bry-97 and Notty and Windsor; I already have a good idea how those would turn out.)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 10:02:52 am »

Agreed - that's why the larger 'half' of the split batch will try to remain as faithful as possible to the original.  It's the other half of the split-batch that I want to experiment with...  to help me learn what another yeast brings to the table when compared against the 'control group' so to speak.  Because I've done so little with lager yeasts so far, I thought that might be an interesting side-by-side contrast to help me learn.  But if you think a lager yeast version would be downright nasty, I'd love suggestions for other contrasts.  (Aside from US-05 and Bry-97 and Notty and Windsor; I already have a good idea how those would turn out.)

No, I don't think it will be nasty but I do feel like it will kinda be pointless.  You'd likely have better results with 1056.  If you want to experiment,  try 1968.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 01:23:45 pm »

No, I don't think it will be nasty but I do feel like it will kinda be pointless.  You'd likely have better results with 1056.  If you want to experiment,  try 1968.

Thanks!  Actually, 1968 is one that I have often thought I would probably like in various recipes, but I haven't tried it yet.  (And some other upcoming brews that would work well with it too.)  That's a great idea.