Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Something I just learned  (Read 1455 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Something I just learned
« on: December 26, 2021, 12:55:25 pm »
I went to grab a quick taste of my new brew out of my kegerator.  Went to pour, yes I turned on the CO2 this time.  Grabbed the tap, glass in hand, nothing!!!!  WTF!!!!!  LOL.  I open the kegerator only to find that the water left over from when I sanitized the line had frozen.  LOL.  So, I get a warm towel and start to try and defrost the line.  Amazing enough, once that was done the beer poured no problem.  LOL.  So, lesson learned.  Flush the line with some CO2 so there is no water to freeze up when I put the keg in to chill.  Also, I am still learning the settings on the fridge, so I dropped it down to about 6 and put a thermometer in to make sure it stays about 35 or so.  All should be good now.  RR

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Something I just learned
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 02:12:34 pm »
I went to grab a quick taste of my new brew out of my kegerator.  Went to pour, yes I turned on the CO2 this time.  Grabbed the tap, glass in hand, nothing!!!!  WTF!!!!!  LOL.  I open the kegerator only to find that the water left over from when I sanitized the line had frozen.  LOL.  So, I get a warm towel and start to try and defrost the line.  Amazing enough, once that was done the beer poured no problem.  LOL.  So, lesson learned.  Flush the line with some CO2 so there is no water to freeze up when I put the keg in to chill.  Also, I am still learning the settings on the fridge, so I dropped it down to about 6 and put a thermometer in to make sure it stays about 35 or so.  All should be good now.  RR
:) I have a used side by side refrigerator. It runs 37-40 depending on season and setting.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 06:42:26 pm »
Still a bit frozen, but better.  I am learning as I go. 

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 09:03:28 am »
I set my "lagering freezer" to 35 degrees when carbonating the beer then move the keg to the serving keezer which is set to around 40 degrees.  I would go a bit higher but my wife likes her beer cold so I leave it at 40.  Never have had issues with frozen lines
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Jtk0777

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 06:06:47 am »
Haha I also just had this issue. I took my liquid line and hung them out of my keezer for about 5 min and they thawed. I pushed some beer through and it’s been fine ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 07:18:00 am »
I had lines freeze once when they were pushed up against the cold plate at the back of the keezer.
Far better to dare mighty things....