Author Topic: Texas Chef Successfully Deep-Fries...Beer!  (Read 1605 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Chef Successfully Deep-Fries...Beer!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 09:06:22 PM »
that is Irish bacon.
Yes it is. :)  He can call it whatever he likes though, it's delicious.  I live in a neighborhood with a bunch of Irish guys who work for microsoft, they helped him with taste testing to get it right.  He drives a truck up once a month to deliver to the MS campus, there's a huge list of people who order every month.  I glom on every now and then, the sausages are really good too.

And if I could get a sample of some Taylor Ham he's willing to try making that . . .  ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 04:57:46 AM »
I like bacon sliced relatively thin and fried on an iron skillet.  There has to be a significant fat content in it for it to have savory flavor.  Like this.

Ron Price

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 07:43:01 AM »
The trick is to cook it very slow, which most people don't do.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • View Profile
    • My Job
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 08:02:22 AM »
There's a fantastic restaurant in Montreal called Au Pied du Cochon, they serve a fried foie gras, comes in a little cube, I believe it's flash fried - I think frying something slowly or at a low temp would be bad bad bad with this.

Theoretically, you could fry beer by itself, but you'd need to gelatinize (NOT Jello, actual gelatin; comes in sheets) it first, and then get it super cold (but not frozen) so the gelatin holds up to the heat. coat it in flour, then dip it in (beer? buttermilk? etc?) then back in the flour. Fry it in a deep fryer. That should work.

Maybe I'll try this sometime next month. Also of note, you'd probably need to use flat beer. Not sure how the carbonation would behave with the gelatin.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 08:38:13 AM »
I like bacon sliced relatively thin and fried on an iron skillet.  There has to be a significant fat content in it for it to have savory flavor.
I'm not saying that's not also delicious . . . but the Irish bacon is better I think.  Harder to weave though. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline magnatron

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 10:24:10 AM »
There's a fantastic restaurant in Montreal called Au Pied du Cochon, they serve a fried foie gras, comes in a little cube...

I've eaten there MANY times.  Love the confit lamb shank, the fries cooked in duck fat, and yes, the foie gras cube!  It's tough to get a seat in there sometimes, no matter what day of the week it is.

Offline chaz

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 12:40:59 PM »

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 02:44:58 PM »
The fried peaches and cream last year were divine  ;D
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire