Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trying to calculate ABV on a Monster Barleywine - with multiple additions  (Read 680 times)

Offline Jefferson Coastal

• Cellarman
Trying to calculate ABV on a BIG Barleywine.  I have the OG and original volume.  There were multiple additions including concentrated wort, honey, sugar, syrup as well as a second pitch of yeast.

Is there a calculator or formula that I could use to somehow determine what the ABV of this beer is?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Trying to calculate ABV on a Monster Barleywine - with multiple additions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 07:42:18 am »
Sure.  Put your original ingredients and OG into any calculator, then enter all the additional ingredients, and adjust the attenuation to end up at your actual FG.  This should give you a new effective OG and ABV.  If you need help, provide everything to us and we (or at least I) can calculate it all out for you.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Jefferson Coastal

• Cellarman
Sure.  Put your original ingredients and OG into any calculator, then enter all the additional ingredients, and adjust the attenuation to end up at your actual FG.  This should give you a new effective OG and ABV.  If you need help, provide everything to us and we (or at least I) can calculate it all out for you.

Thanks for the info.  Do you have a link to the best calculator for this type of process?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
You could send it to a lab for testing, but that costs some money.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!