Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP Releases 2021 Beer Style Guidelines  (Read 1208 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
BJCP Releases 2021 Beer Style Guidelines
« on: December 29, 2021, 11:09:51 am »
2021 Guidelines were released moments ago.  I thought you might all like to discuss.  I haven't even read them yet, other to confirm that they kind of / sort of incorporated my comment from 6 years ago about the color ranges for various IPAs (especially Red and Brown) being... not accurate.

https://www.bjcp.org/news/bjcp-releases-2021-beer-style-guidelines/?fbclid=IwAR2XgFBbtcmTtzrus6n_6anxVMwrYE7xu__h0Yxwxdom6JKGrNmS-1RmVis
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: BJCP Releases 2021 Beer Style Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 11:29:00 am »
I'm pleased to see they replaced "Trappist" with either "Monastic" or "Belgian".  BJCP has no business throwing around the term "Trappist" which is an appellation, like a certificate of authenticity and quality.  Your homebrew might be high quality and use authentically Belgian ingredients, but, if you're not a monk living in Belgium, it's not a Trappist product.

Continuing to wade through the rest of it all...
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 03:57:41 pm »
I’m glad they kept this: “The BJCP Style Guidelines are guidelines not specifications. ... They are suggestions, not hard limits. ...”

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 04:13:28 pm »
I’m glad they kept this: “The BJCP Style Guidelines are guidelines not specifications. ... They are suggestions, not hard limits. ...”

Agreed.

Next appellation given similar consideration as the Trappist might be Kolsch? (couldn't get an umlaut on that o)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 04:24:20 pm »
2021 Guidelines were released moments ago.  I thought you might all like to discuss. 
I'm all for a reasonable discussion over a bashing- folks volunteer their time to produce them, so let's keep that in mind!

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 07:31:42 pm »
If only people could read. That's not enough to stop the unnecessary fights lol

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 09:04:16 pm »
Glad to see gose in Euro sour ale over historical. I don't know why, I just feel it does make sense and belongs there moreso.
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
Bloatarian Brewing League
BJCP B1408

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 08:48:14 pm »
Glad to see gose in Euro sour ale over historical. I don't know why, I just feel it does make sense and belongs there moreso.

A lot of people were exposed to the style through Brewing With Wheat which articulated it as a historical style. I agree, to the extent it might have been a historical style, since the publication of the last BJCP guidelines it would be impossible to argue it is a historical style given how many have been brewed commercially and by homebrewers.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing