Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash temp/time changes  (Read 1885 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mash temp/time changes
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2022, 10:21:17 am »
i no longer do any mash but the same style of infusion mash because i want predictable results for the wort. its an infusion targeted towards 148-152 (im sort of loose with it) for about 60 to 90 mins, but it generally gives me wort that falls within the fermentability guidelines of the yeast. -ie. bry97 hitting ~77% attenuation reliably

i think ive never done a hotter infusion mash temp like 156 before, i dont think i'd want that kind of body unless i was doing some very low OG beer like a 1.035 style
Trust me, mashing at 156F is not going to give noticibly more body than 152, and probably not more than 148. You may see a point or two higher FG, but in my experience, that is pretty much undetectable to the palate. Honestly, I've mashed as high as 162F and really haven't noticed a huge difference for low-to-normal gravity beers.

This has also been my experience. It makes mo're difference with some malts than others, but in general holds for all.
Me three.  I think the attenuation is more a product of yeast health than mash temp.

And malt profile, too, in my experience.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2022, 05:04:13 am »
There was a brewer in our homebrew club who swore by a 158-160 F mash for his low ABV English Milds- he made award winning milds that seemed to have more body than most.  Confirmation bias, perhaps for those of us who knew his process, but the medals were earned without any judges knowing his mash temp.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2022, 06:59:18 am »
There was a brewer in our homebrew club who swore by a 158-160 F mash for his low ABV English Milds- he made award winning milds that seemed to have more body than most.  Confirmation bias, perhaps for those of us who knew his process, but the medals were earned without any judges knowing his mash temp.
Noted, although malt choice, recipe, yeast strain, carbonation level, etc. are probably all other variables that he has dialed in. These all will have more impact than mash temp as far as winning medals goes, and in relation to perceived body as well in my experience.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer