Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Temps  (Read 1609 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Beer Temps
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2022, 08:24:55 am »
So you set your beer serving temp to be "perfect".  But the beer warms as you drink it, so it's only "perfect" for the first couple sips.  So do you drink it all in one gulp as soon as it's poured?  Or is it less important than it's being made out to be?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2022, 09:19:31 am »
So you set your beer serving temp to be "perfect".  But the beer warms as you drink it, so it's only "perfect" for the first couple sips.  So do you drink it all in one gulp as soon as it's poured?  Or is it less important than it's being made out to be?
In the non-existent "perfect" world, serving temp for me would be about 2-3° colder than I would ideally like the beer so that I'm drinking the entirety of the beer right in my wheelhouse.  But not 10° colder.  When a beer is placed in front of me, it's time to get on with it, not stare at it.  :)
As far as the importance of serving temperature, that's up to the drinker.  No?

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 09:28:52 am »
My keezer is set to 39°. It seems to be a good compromise of temperature for the variety of styles I serve. Sometime I should measure the temperature at which the beer actually comes out of the tap--I suspect there is a bit of variation depending on where the keg is in the keezer, and how full the keg is (I use floating dip tubes). I have a small fan in the keezer to circulate air and improve temperature consistency, too.

In the end, I don't worry about precise serving temperature too awful much, as long as it's not ice cold for most of the beers I serve. As others have related in this thread, I personally find it really enjoyable to savor how a beer changes as its temperature changes. At risk of being incredibly insufferable, I find that glassware shape is (for me) a big part of enhancing that enjoyment along the temperature gradient...but that's an oft-discussed topic for a different thread!
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2022, 09:35:46 am »
In the non-existent "perfect" world, serving temp for me would be about 2-3° colder than I would ideally like the beer so that I'm drinking the entirety of the beer right in my wheelhouse.  But not 10° colder.  When a beer is placed in front of me, it's time to get on with it, not stare at it.  :)

Exactly, and that's my point.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2022, 09:41:29 am »

Exactly, and that's my point.

Sorry, I didn't get that impression from your previous post.  My bad.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2022, 09:50:22 am »
Serving temp is highly subjective, speaking on behalf of the group at Bel Air Brewing.

We take many samples at rather cold temps, maybe 32 to 34 degrees. When doing a taste comparison, we will let the beers acclimate a bit to the ambient temp, so we can get a better flavor profile.

One brewing members wife wants her beer at 32, or colder. She will "inhale" her beer quickly, so it does not have any chance to warm up.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2022, 12:52:45 pm »
I understand that tastes are all different. But for me, getting the beer warmer makes a really big difference in how much I enjoy it. To put it in perspective, I'd say it would make a difference of over 5 points on a competition score sheet. From this thread, it seems that most home brewers are aware of this and adjust for their own taste. But I didn't for many years - just served out of the fridge, and didn't give it further thought. I think all those who haven't experimented with serving temperature would benefit from doing so.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2022, 01:28:00 pm »
My grandfather, acting like a good Dane, would often drink his beer from the storage cellar, not refrigerated.
He did keep beer in the fridge also…for those who were less sophisticated.