Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Treated water vs plain filtered tap water  (Read 2983 times)

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
Re: Treated water vs plain filtered tap water
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2022, 01:32:17 pm »
TxFlyGuy: How did you determine what water treatment was needed/desirable?

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2022, 01:37:41 pm »
Most water supplies have more alkalinity then desirable for brewing pale beers and adding acid to neutralize alkalinity, will have a profound effect on their pale beers.  Crisper and brighter flavored beers will be the result.  As reported by txflyguy, it is worth your attention.

This was definitely my experience here in the greater Los Angeles area, where our tap water has an incredible bicarbonate load (between 144 and 210 ppm bicarbonate, depending on the time of year). For years, I had issues with flabby blonde ales and pale lagers, and once I started getting serious about neutralizing alkalinity or building from RO, I noticed a big difference.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2022, 03:04:25 pm »
TxFlyGuy: How did you determine what water treatment was needed/desirable?

I am embarrassed to admit it, but my friend Dave did all of the leg work.
He was provided with the analysis of our city tap water. Then told him the beer was going to be a classic German Pils.
He loaded everything into Bru'n Water, and I followed his instructions. Dave was kind enough to give me the chemicals needed.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2022, 03:06:08 pm »
Most water supplies have more alkalinity then desirable for brewing pale beers and adding acid to neutralize alkalinity, will have a profound effect on their pale beers.  Crisper and brighter flavored beers will be the result.  As reported by txflyguy, it is worth your attention.

This was definitely my experience here in the greater Los Angeles area, where our tap water has an incredible bicarbonate load (between 144 and 210 ppm bicarbonate, depending on the time of year). For years, I had issues with flabby blonde ales and pale lagers, and once I started getting serious about neutralizing alkalinity or building from RO, I noticed a big difference.

My alkalinity went from 80 to 4 ppm. If I am reading the chart correctly.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2022, 08:23:18 pm »

Andy, you don't  know what some of us have in the Midwest do you? My bicarbonate is 364 ppm. Others report higher, even over 400ppm. RO water allowed me to make crisp lagers.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2022, 09:58:25 pm »

Andy, you don't  know what some of us have in the Midwest do you? My bicarbonate is 364 ppm. Others report higher, even over 400ppm. RO water allowed me to make crisp lagers.

I had blocked that out of my mind, ha! The well water at my grandparents' place had a ton of carbonates; thankfully our farm was on rural water from when I was a pretty young age! Growing up in my part of eastern South Dakota, well water could be either really awesome, or pretty awful! Dad brews with rural water (mostly taken from the Missouri), and it is excellent with minimal treatment.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2022, 05:51:10 am »
That has been our experience, brewing with the local water supply, with little or no treatment. The beers have ranged from good to very good.

Adding a few grams of this and that did seem to make a difference, but it's impossible to know for sure.

But the last German Pils we brewed and put in the keg a week ago using treated water, has all of us excited. It will be entered in a contest the end of this month.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2022, 08:45:39 am »

I had blocked that out of my mind, ha! The well water at my grandparents' place had a ton of carbonates; thankfully our farm was on rural water from when I was a pretty young age! Growing up in my part of eastern South Dakota, well water could be either really awesome, or pretty awful! Dad brews with rural water (mostly taken from the Missouri), and it is excellent with minimal treatment.
I've had the same experience with wells here in New England. Growing up I lived just a half mile uphill from a limestone quarry, and our well was pretty old and relatively shallow. Our shower head grew stalactites on a regular basis, and our tap water tasted a bit like skim milk. The house I'm in now is less than 10 miles away from that house as the crow flies, but we have a deep well and our water is fairly soft.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2022, 11:25:34 am »
That has been our experience, brewing with the local water supply, with little or no treatment. The beers have ranged from good to very good.

That is lucky. But heck, many traditional classic examples of german pilsners have been brewed using local water supplies. I guess your water supply just creates excellent examples of classic german pilsners.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2022, 03:44:54 pm »

That is lucky. But heck, many traditional classic examples of german pilsners have been brewed using local water supplies. I guess your water supply just creates excellent examples of classic german pilsners.

A small craft brewery in our town commented that the water profile of the city tap water is well suited to a variety of beers.
So yes, we are very lucky indeed.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2022, 05:33:36 pm »

A small craft brewery in our town commented that the water profile of the city tap water is well suited to a variety of beers.

the water comes from lake lewisville and lake ray roberts apparently, and its got chloramine rather than chlorine.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2022, 05:53:57 pm »

the water comes from lake lewisville and lake ray roberts apparently, and its got chloramine rather than chlorine.

Chloramine is not listed on my City water report, from either LL or RR.
It does show Chloride - LL @ 20.13
                                  RR @ 15.87

Pretty sure our filter catches this.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2022, 09:17:42 pm »

Chloramine is not listed on my City water report, from either LL or RR.
It does show Chloride - LL @ 20.13
                                  RR @ 15.87

Pretty sure our filter catches this.

if youre in the dallas area, you likely (not 100%?) have chloramine in the water. do you use campden tabs?

Offline Buckeye Hydro

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2022, 05:01:17 am »
Yes - the City of Dallas uses chloramine (chlorine + ammonia) as a disinfectant.
https://dallascityhall.com/departments/waterutilities/Pages/water_quality_information.aspx

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2022, 05:46:39 am »
Sure that’s not Ray Hubbard?  I went to school overlooking that lake (Lakeview HS).