Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cosmic Punch Review  (Read 4184 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Cosmic Punch Review
« on: January 04, 2022, 09:33:54 am »
I've been on the fence about biotransformation, it sounds cool and all, but is it really real? Cosmic Punch by Omega seems to release a ton of tropical aromas. It is supposed to unlock thiols through biotransformation ... and for all intents and purposes it appears to be true.

I used a blend of Mosaic, El Dorado and Loral. Boom! Probably the most hop aromatic beer I have ever brewed.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Cosmic Punch Review
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 10:17:37 am »
That's good to hear. I ordered some and some Calypso to go with it. Have you gotten any sulfury/diesely flavors from the beer? I've had two beers made with it (Triptych Thiol Trip Tech Vol 1 & 2, both with Cosmic punch and Phantasm) and while they had a lot of flavor and aroma there was a definitely diesel kind of flavor to it.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 10:20:34 am »
I hope not! This is still in fermenter taking samples of zwickle. Blown away by aroma I won't blown away with diesel. No sulphur in aroma.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 11:03:24 am »
Glad to hear some good results with it. I have a pouch sitting in my fridge that I haven't gotten around to using yet. I'm not sure if I want to try it out with the same recipe as the last IPA I brewed to get a decent comparison to something fresh in my memory, or if I want to go all-out with extra big flameout and dry hops along with some grapefruit zest.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 11:22:44 am »
I remain skeptical, but... as a chemical engineer, I also understand how magical chemistry can be.  Especially organic chemistry.  So, I guess I'm staying tuned until I might one day participate in some blind tastings of my own to know for sure.  Seems interesting if it's real.  *Eyes still slightly squinted...*
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 11:25:44 am »
I remain skeptical, but... as a chemical engineer, I also understand how magical chemistry can be.  Especially organic chemistry.  So, I guess I'm staying tuned until I might one day participate in some blind tastings of my own to know for sure.  Seems interesting if it's real.  *Eyes still slightly squinted...*

There's a really good podcast on the MBAAon the yeast and thiols. Check it out. it goes into way more technical stuff than I'm going to be able to post here

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 12:14:23 pm »
Very interesting.  Good to know that some yeast are more adept at that conversion!
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 01:01:08 pm »
I've been on the fence about biotransformation, it sounds cool and all, but is it really real? Cosmic Punch by Omega seems to release a ton of tropical aromas. It is supposed to unlock thiols through biotransformation ... and for all intents and purposes it appears to be true.

I used a blend of Mosaic, El Dorado and Loral. Boom! Probably the most hop aromatic beer I have ever brewed.

Using a blend of cryo pop and other cryo according to the charts in the survivable booklet I achieved the same type of result.  Of course, there's no way to compare with what you got,  but I can't imagine it could get much better.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 06:00:52 pm »
Those cry hops are sooo expensive and can be hard to get. Yeast is comparably much cheaper and can be reused.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 06:17:48 pm »
From everything I have read, biotransformation is a real thing, in that there is measurable biochemistry happening. But what's measurable via lab equipment isn't necessarily measurable to a palate. In other words, I think the question isn't, "is it a real thing?" but rather, "does it matter?"

Maybe it does, maybe not. The beer might be different...but different and better aren't the same thing. I am also skeptical. Homebrewers are like beer consumers in that they are always transfixed by the shiny new object (process-wise).

Side note: Omega yeasts are mostly, if not all, GMO. Majorvices, if this was a commercial batch, I'd be curious to know how well that is received by your customers. GMO-anything is generally a third rail in the brewing industry.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 06:22:25 pm »
It was a 7 bbl batch. I'll definitely post impressions once they come rolling in. i jumped the gun a little by posting after sampling the zwickle but i can tell it's gonna be an amazing beer.

narvin

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 07:10:22 pm »
When were hops added to maximize biotransformation?

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2022, 08:38:49 pm »
Having never used liquid yeast and wondering out loud, would this work in a hoppy IPA?  Any recipes out there that you all think would be a good fit for this?  Any special ways it has to be handled?  If I am over my head as a newbie, please let me know, but I read the description on morebeer and it sounded pretty good. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2022, 02:45:34 am »
When were hops added to maximize biotransformation?

WP and near end of fermentation.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2022, 08:07:56 am »
Keep in mind that bioxformation only works with certain yeasts and hops.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell