Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cosmic Punch Review  (Read 4097 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Cosmic Punch Review
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2022, 08:14:26 am »
I've been on the fence about biotransformation, it sounds cool and all, but is it really real? Cosmic Punch by Omega seems to release a ton of tropical aromas. It is supposed to unlock thiols through biotransformation ... and for all intents and purposes it appears to be true.

I used a blend of Mosaic, El Dorado and Loral. Boom! Probably the most hop aromatic beer I have ever brewed.

Using a blend of cryo pop and other cryo according to the charts in the survivable booklet I achieved the same type of result.  Of course, there's no way to compare with what you got,  but I can't imagine it could get much better.

Right now 1 lb of Calypso, which is supposed to be chock full of the right compounds, is $7.99 at Morebeer. Hard to beat in terms of value. Omega mentions Cascade, saaz, and mittelfruh as other hops that should work well. Makes it kind of nice if you're trying to buy hops in bulk and just use what you have.

https://omegayeast.com/news/cosmic-punch-new-thiol-boosting-strain

Of course, there's a lot of variation in hop oil contents, so you have the hope the hops have the right precursors, you add them at the right time, and the yeast is under the right conditions to biotransform. I'm not sure how much yeasts that biotransform always do, or if thats dependent on strain or what. Cyropop could be more consistent.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2022, 08:45:29 am »
For anyone interested in a relatively deep dive on GM yeasts, Sapwood Cellars' Scott Janish has an excellent article:

http://scottjanish.com/genetically-modified-gm-yeast-strains-unlocking-bound-hop-thiols-and-engineering-targeted-fermentation-characteristics/

I have heard presentations by Lance Shaner at Omega and he is doing some intriguing things with sugar loving fungi.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Don

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2022, 02:04:55 pm »
For anyone interested in a relatively deep dive on GM yeasts, Sapwood Cellars' Scott Janish has an excellent article:

http://scottjanish.com/genetically-modified-gm-yeast-strains-unlocking-bound-hop-thiols-and-engineering-targeted-fermentation-characteristics/

I have heard presentations by Lance Shaner at Omega and he is doing some intriguing things with sugar loving fungi.

I was just reading this yesterday...https://scottjanish.com/the-locksmith-utilizing-bioengineered-yeast-and-high-bound-thiol-precersour-hops-and-phantasm-powder-to-thiol-drive-beer/

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2022, 04:42:59 pm »
I had done a hazy ipa with Strata and Sabro. Split a 10 gallon batch into 2 5 gallon fermentors. Did a starter of London Ale III and Cosmic Punch. I perceived a difference. Cosmic Punch seemed to have more to it - even bitterness. I got a real strong coconut and "tropical" hop character in it. London Ale III was still very good, but I preferred Cosmic Punch. A few of my trusted homebrew buddies liked Londone Ale III better, but admitted there was more to Cosmic Punch.

I wouldn't say Omega is overstating their claims!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2022, 04:12:17 am »
Majorvices, if this was a commercial batch, I'd be curious to know how well that is received by your customers. GMO-anything is generally a third rail in the brewing industry.

The beer is doing well in the tap room. I've had a couple of 8 oz pours since it was released. My biggest take away is huge aroma development. These were spot hops, I don't have some fancy contract like all the really great breweries out there have. SO it's similar to hombrewing -- I take what I can get. Extremely "juicy" and tropical. Supposedly this yeast boosts thiols in the malt as well as the hops. I can't attest to that but I can say that it has is very strong in the aromatic department.

If there is a complaint it is that it sort of falls flat in the finish. Granted, that may be a recipe thing.

I should reiterate: I am not a fan of hazy IPAs, but I do appreciate their aroma. My takeaway is that this is an aroma bomb that that drinks easily at 6.5%. Nearly all the hops went in at WP. About 10 IBUs went into the boil.I used chit malt over oats or oat malt and I wonder if that was actually part fo the issue with the flat finish.

Regardless -- definitely something to play around with. I brewed a stout with it (around 1.065OG) that has a huge charge of Amarillo at flame out and dry hopped during end of fermentation with Amarillo ad dry hopped with Amarillo and Mosaic.Another beer style I ammnot typically fojndof (black iPa) but was trying to just get a very fruity and "tropical" tasting stout and it definitely did that. Aroma is like chocolate and orange. It is still in fermenter.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2022, 08:29:43 am »
Majorvices, if this was a commercial batch, I'd be curious to know how well that is received by your customers. GMO-anything is generally a third rail in the brewing industry.

The beer is doing well in the tap room. I've had a couple of 8 oz pours since it was released. My biggest take away is huge aroma development. These were spot hops, I don't have some fancy contract like all the really great breweries out there have. SO it's similar to hombrewing -- I take what I can get. Extremely "juicy" and tropical. Supposedly this yeast boosts thiols in the malt as well as the hops. I can't attest to that but I can say that it has is very strong in the aromatic department.

If there is a complaint it is that it sort of falls flat in the finish. Granted, that may be a recipe thing.

I should reiterate: I am not a fan of hazy IPAs, but I do appreciate their aroma. My takeaway is that this is an aroma bomb that that drinks easily at 6.5%. Nearly all the hops went in at WP. About 10 IBUs went into the boil.I used chit malt over oats or oat malt and I wonder if that was actually part fo the issue with the flat finish.

Regardless -- definitely something to play around with. I brewed a stout with it (around 1.065OG) that has a huge charge of Amarillo at flame out and dry hopped during end of fermentation with Amarillo ad dry hopped with Amarillo and Mosaic.Another beer style I ammnot typically fojndof (black iPa) but was trying to just get a very fruity and "tropical" tasting stout and it definitely did that. Aroma is like chocolate and orange. It is still in fermenter.
Chocolate and orange sounds delicious.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2022, 10:26:04 am »

Chocolate and orange sounds delicious.
Once I finish playing with 1762, I will definitely be playing around with Cosmic Punch. This makes me curious about what other styles it could be used for. If it converts thiols from the grain, I wonder how a lightly hopped lager or wheat beer would come out. And I haven't brewed a Black IPA in many years, but that certainly sounds interesting as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer