Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: USPS Shipping Equity Act  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
USPS Shipping Equity Act
« on: January 05, 2022, 06:26:30 am »
Although the bill was introduced months ago, I don’t believe I’ve seen it addressed in this forum. Click on the “Take Action” button if you wish to support.

https://www.craftbeer.com/news/usps-shipping-equity-act
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: USPS Shipping Equity Act
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 06:41:05 am »
But the local district alcohol distribution networks, who are highly controlled by organized crime, will not get their cut.

I have seen examples of this where I live. The laws and regulations are there to line the pockets of the mafia.

Offline Ortizer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 06:54:08 am »
Would this allow shipping of homebrew, or just shipping from commercial producers?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 07:22:53 am »
The passage of this bill will meet fierce opposition in the legislature. We will see who has sold out to the influence of organized crime.

Where is Elliot Ness?

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 07:53:05 am »
A concern I have, regardless who the shipper is, is how do they verify the age of the person placing the order?  Unless some sort of facial recognition software is used, how can the enforce the “under 21” drinking age law?  Perhaps they can ask for identification from the person signing for the order???
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 07:54:16 am »
Would this allow shipping of homebrew, or just shipping from commercial producers?

Just commercial. The rest of us will continue to ship on the sly like we’ve always been doing.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 08:03:47 am »
I wonder if this would drive the price up even higher for craft beer, at least for in demand options like Treehouse, etc.

I'm contacting my congressman directly and asking if homebrew can be included. Probably won't happen, but it's always nice to dream. Anyway the AHA can get involved?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 08:06:47 am »
I wonder if this would drive the price up even higher for craft beer, at least for in demand options like Treehouse, etc.

I'm contacting my congressman directly and asking if homebrew can be included. Probably won't happen, but it's always nice to dream. Anyway the AHA can get involved?

The AHA has been working on this for 25 years.  That's an indication of how difficult it is.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 08:39:38 am »
But the local district alcohol distribution networks, who are highly controlled by organized crime, will not get their cut.

I have seen examples of this where I live. The laws and regulations are there to line the pockets of the mafia.

You have the mafia in Texas?  Do they ride horses?

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 09:03:01 am »

You have the mafia in Texas?  Do they ride horses?

Cadillac Escalades.

Asked my brewing friend about this, and he was employed in the craft beer industry in Austin, Texas. He said without a doubt the legislators are in the deep pockets of organized crime.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 09:07:00 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline Ortizer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 09:14:02 am »

Just commercial. The rest of us will continue to ship on the sly like we’ve always been doing.
Meh.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 09:53:34 am »
You have the mafia in Texas?
Who do you think was behind the fence at the grassy knoll?

Bier bewusst genießen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

narvin

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2022, 12:09:55 pm »

Bier bewusst genießen

Ted Cruz's dad.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2022, 03:20:28 pm »

Bier bewusst genießen

That was the NOLA mob.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

narvin

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2022, 04:35:11 pm »
A concern I have, regardless who the shipper is, is how do they verify the age of the person placing the order?  Unless some sort of facial recognition software is used, how can the enforce the “under 21” drinking age law?  Perhaps they can ask for identification from the person signing for the order???

Private carriers have to get ID and signature upon delivery for alcohol.  I don't see why it would be any different for USPS.