Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: USPS Shipping Equity Act  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
Re: USPS Shipping Equity Act
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2022, 06:11:14 pm »
But the local district alcohol distribution networks, who are highly controlled by organized crime, will not get their cut.

I have seen examples of this where I live. The laws and regulations are there to line the pockets of the mafia.

You have the mafia in Texas?  Do they ride horses?

Cadillac Escalades.

Asked my brewing friend about this, and he was employed in the craft beer industry in Austin, Texas. He said without a doubt the legislators are in the deep pockets of organized crime.

I know a guy who knows a guy who….

Under that conspiracy theory, the mafia should be in favor of this bill. The more product moved, the larger the payoffs, etc.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2022, 06:50:53 pm »
But the local district alcohol distribution networks, who are highly controlled by organized crime, will not get their cut.

I have seen examples of this where I live. The laws and regulations are there to line the pockets of the mafia.

Cadillac Escalades.

Asked my brewing friend about this, and he was employed in the craft beer industry in Austin, Texas. He said without a doubt the legislators are in the deep pockets of organized crime.

I know a guy who knows a guy who….

Under that conspiracy theory, the mafia should be in favor of this bill. The more product moved, the larger the payoffs, etc.

Quite the opposite. They lose total control in this scenario. As is, they can dictate when and where shipments go, and completely control the distribution.
This is not just theory, it is happening every day. But they do it “legally”, through legislators who are bought and paid for.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2022, 05:18:04 am »
A concern I have, regardless who the shipper is, is how do they verify the age of the person placing the order?  Unless some sort of facial recognition software is used, how can the enforce the “under 21” drinking age law?  Perhaps they can ask for identification from the person signing for the order???

Private carriers have to get ID and signature upon delivery for alcohol.  I don't see why it would be any different for USPS.

My wife and I are in a wine club and the only time the delivery people have made me show an id or even sign for the cases was when we rerouted our delivery to a Walgreens.  Even then only once.  They are required to show an adult signature but maybe not your signature.  ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

narvin

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2022, 07:03:51 am »
A concern I have, regardless who the shipper is, is how do they verify the age of the person placing the order?  Unless some sort of facial recognition software is used, how can the enforce the “under 21” drinking age law?  Perhaps they can ask for identification from the person signing for the order???

Private carriers have to get ID and signature upon delivery for alcohol.  I don't see why it would be any different for USPS.

My wife and I are in a wine club and the only time the delivery people have made me show an id or even sign for the cases was when we rerouted our delivery to a Walgreens.  Even then only once.  They are required to show an adult signature but maybe not your signature.  ;D

Paul

You probably look old enough that asking for ID  would seem comical  :) But even if it's not enforced well, you'd think that the federal government would be more strict, not less.  I still don't see this as a reason to keep the ban.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2022, 07:44:09 am »

Paul

You probably look old enough that asking for ID  would seem comical  :) But even if it's not enforced well, you'd think that the federal government would be more strict, not less.  I still don't see this as a reason to keep the ban.

Here is where you will find the answer...follow the money.
Hint: crooked politicians.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2022, 03:41:52 pm »

Paul

You'd be right.  There is more snow than soil on my head anymore. 
It made me laugh when the driver asked my name after handing me the box and then signed his own pad.  :)

Like the TSA, it's all theater.  ;)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2022, 07:56:16 pm »

Are we dealing with prohibition here? I’m so confused.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2022, 05:43:52 am »

We know!  :)

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2022, 08:57:45 am »

We know!  :)
We do? Speak for yourself.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 09:00:49 am by Iliff Ave »

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2022, 09:17:02 am »

Cadillac Escalades.

Seriously you aren't kidding. I've witnessed this myself down by the border near Eagle Pass confirming the Escalades and shady folk @TXFlyGuy .

Seems like it would be great if this law can get through though!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 09:22:57 am by Big_Eight »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2022, 09:52:16 am »

Cadillac Escalades.

Seriously you aren't kidding. I've witnessed this myself down by the border near Eagle Pass confirming the Escalades and shady folk @TXFlyGuy .

Seems like it would be great if this law can get through though!

You would be correct, as they traded in their wild Mustangs for Escalades some time ago. All in all, it is pretty safe, most of the time. Just don't get caught in the cross-fire. But that is all street stuff...the big boys don't really show their faces much.
Traveling south, into Nuevo Progresso, the store merchants pay-off the organized crime families for protection. So you are safe there. My family and I are very familiar with that area.

I will bet a case of beer that the law goes down faster than a cold beer on a hot day.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 10:06:52 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2022, 12:12:16 pm »
Some of you people need to lay off the pipe some. This would be a good thing for many reason. 1 it has the possibility to keep a struggling brewery in business (maybe one of your favs ) 2 this will open the door for home brews to be mailed. As for the Mafia really come on now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2022, 12:18:28 pm »
Some of you people need to lay off the pipe some. This would be a good thing for many reason. 1 it has the possibility to keep a struggling brewery in business (maybe one of your favs ) 2 this will open the door for home brews to be mailed. As for the Mafia really come on now.

+1

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2022, 12:30:10 pm »

+1

+2
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2022, 12:34:51 pm »

It is highly doubtful this will ever pass. Does organized crime exist? Is the Pope Catholic?

Remind us again...how many years have companies / brewers / individuals been trying to make this happen? And what has been the roadblock?

It goes without saying this would be good…for some of us. But look at who it would not be good for. There lies your answer.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 02:50:35 pm by Bel Air Brewing »