Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Temps  (Read 1658 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Beer Temps
« on: January 05, 2022, 08:59:52 am »
Howdy all.  I was doing a bit of reading and realized my beer was coming out a bit cold.  35 or so.  I have adjusted my temp in my kegerator and now the IPA is coming out at about 40 or so.  Man, what a difference.  The flavors are much more apparent.  It has been sitting in the keg for about two weeks as well, and I am sure that has something to do with it.  I have read that IPA's should be served at about 45, so I am going to raise the temp in the kegerator a bit and see what happens.  But, I have to learn that with beer making, patience is a virtue.  LOL.   Anyway, sorry to post what most probably see as obvious, but I am still learning.  RR

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Beer Temps
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 09:58:06 am »
That’s one of the big complaints Brits have concerning American beer. They say it’s too cold to taste. They insist ’cellar temps’ presents better taste. Americans complain Brits serve their beer at room temp. Of course, most American beer doesn’t have any taste

I am in a take what I get situation. I cold crash/condition/lager in the keg using the freezer side of a side-by-side at about 32*F. I serve from the fridge side. The fridge side isn’t directly cooled. It uses bleed air from the freezer side. I serve ~40-45*F

Bier bewusst genießen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 10:04:35 am by BrewBama »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Beer Temps
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 11:28:17 am »
I've become a bit more "awake" to serving temperature recently.  I definitely prefer most beers at ≈ 45°F, though some styles - like an English Porter - I prefer about 5-10° warmer.  I'm not a big lager drinker, though I do prefer them a bit colder, say around 40°.

We all need to balance what’s best for the beer, what our preferences are and what’s practical given our individual breweries. But…does anyone give temperature strong consideration when serving their beers? And how do you balance that if you have multiple beers in the same frig/keezer that might be best served at different temperatures?  It's one thing to leave a bottle of beer out on the counter for a few minutes to warm up before opening, not as practical with a freshly poured draft.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 11:35:11 am »
Howdy all.  I was doing a bit of reading and realized my beer was coming out a bit cold.  35 or so.  I have adjusted my temp in my kegerator and now the IPA is coming out at about 40 or so.  Man, what a difference.  The flavors are much more apparent.  It has been sitting in the keg for about two weeks as well, and I am sure that has something to do with it.  I have read that IPA's should be served at about 45, so I am going to raise the temp in the kegerator a bit and see what happens.  But, I have to learn that with beer making, patience is a virtue.  LOL.   Anyway, sorry to post what most probably see as obvious, but I am still learning.  RR

it's all a learning process and it never ends, as techniques and theory seem to be evolving almost faster than ever (bio-engineered yeasts, deeper understanding of compounds within malt/hops leading to oxidation or flavour elements, etc).

i brew and drink 99% in isolation here, so i do what i like. my beer is currently stored at about 55F, and i love drinking most of it from that temp on up.

even crazier, after having had unibroue's "quelque chose", a beer intended to be drunk hot, i tried heating up some beer of my own that was also dark and stronger, and it actually tasted pretty good. beer was drunk heated at various times in the past AFAIK.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 01:07:34 pm »
Now you've hit on one of my pet peeves. I hate going to a restaurant or pub, ordering a craft beer, and having it served in a frozen glass. Right away I know they're either catering to a BMC crowd or they know squat about serving a decent beer. I know which places do this, so purposely ask for a room temperature glass. Quite often it doesn't matter, because they have the kegs chilled to ~32 degrees. Is it so hard to crank up the temperature in the cold box and let the frozen glasses cool down the s*** American lagers, or are the bar managers just too stupid to figure it out?
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 02:24:56 pm »
This article discusses serving temperature. You might find it interesting: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/proper-beer-serving-temperatures/
I normally take the bottle out of the fridge and let it warm up 20 - 30 minutes before opening.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 05:26:48 pm »
My parents got me one of these for Christmas:

https://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Insulator-Stainless-Colder-Outdoor/dp/B083Q5Y1X2/ref=asc_df_B083Q5Y1X2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=507716505047&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12506925206610435691&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012003&hvtargid=pla-1260184083586&psc=1

I'll never use it, but I was dishonest and thanked them anyway.  It's the thought that counts, right?   ;D

i and, im sure many of you who have gotten into this particular and demanding hobby (suggesting at least a bit that you may be the type of person who generally has particular and demanding hobbies) are hard to buy for. im at an understanding that there is no good in trying to surprise me, and we can just indicate to each other some practical item desired, ie. new boots, whatever.

i understand.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 08:40:20 pm »
Thanks to all who replied.  I am still learning and enjoying getting the info.  I will check the temp on my beer tomorrow when I pour a glass and see what's up.  My brother made a wheat beer and it seems better colder, but who knows, it might be that I need to warm that one up a bit as well. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 08:42:15 am »
Thanks to all who replied.  I am still learning and enjoying getting the info.  I will check the temp on my beer tomorrow when I pour a glass and see what's up.  My brother made a wheat beer and it seems better colder, but who knows, it might be that I need to warm that one up a bit as well.
What you like is what you like. Try different temps and see what you prefer - there is no wrong answer when it comes to your own enjoyment!

Colder temps do mute some flavors and aromas, but a cold beer is certainly more thirst-quenching than a cellar-temp one (to me, anyways). I keep my kegerator set to 38F. I'm a slow drinker, so I do enjoy seeing how a beer evolves over time as it warms up.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 08:44:06 am »
I’m set at 38F as well. I be curious to how much a pour warms up over the time it takes to drink.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 09:18:36 am »
Now you've hit on one of my pet peeves. I hate going to a restaurant or pub, ordering a craft beer, and having it served in a frozen glass. Right away I know they're either catering to a BMC crowd or they know squat about serving a decent beer. I know which places do this, so purposely ask for a room temperature glass. Quite often it doesn't matter, because they have the kegs chilled to ~32 degrees. Is it so hard to crank up the temperature in the cold box and let the frozen glasses cool down the s*** American lagers, or are the bar managers just too stupid to figure it out?

Ha! I thought I was the only person who asked for a warm glass! One thing that is irritating...having to chew through frozen beer. And that beer will freeze.

My serving temps are 38-40 F.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 05:02:39 pm »
I am finding that it warms a bit when it hits the glass, so from about 40 to about 42 or so.  I am trying to adjust it so that it hits about 38 to 40 in the glass.  But I can tell the difference for sure. 

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2022, 08:07:49 am »
I keep my keezer set at around 40 degrees.  It's a compromise that keeps my wife happy as she likes her beer a bit colder.  40 degrees allows the taste to come out more than usual refrigeration temps and the beer can warm a bit more quickly for the more flavor intensive styles like Porter or Imperial Stout.

Just my 0.02
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2022, 04:55:11 pm »
I'm with @Bob357 when it comes to restaurants. I read an article of a new restaurant and the owner bragged that they served their beer ice cold in frosted mugs because it's better that way. I decided right then and there the guy was an idiot and that I would never set foot in the place.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato