Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Two equpiment questions  (Read 3039 times)

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
Two equpiment questions
« on: September 15, 2010, 02:08:20 pm »
Is there a thread comparing the Johnson analog and digital controllers? Or do you have an opinion preferring one over the other?

Next question, on one of the other threads someone said they used a pond pump to recirculate ice/cold water through their IC. Any recommendations on what kind of pump works best for this?

Thank you!
Dano
Tulsa, OK

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Two equpiment questions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 02:22:59 pm »
Is there a thread comparing the Johnson analog and digital controllers? Or do you have an opinion preferring one over the other?

Next question, on one of the other threads someone said they used a pond pump to recirculate ice/cold water through their IC. Any recommendations on what kind of pump works best for this?

Thank you!
Dano

Can't remember the thread, but many have opened that the analog controllers last longer and are much more durable.  I have two digitals.  a one phase and a two phase.  Had them about two years.  No problems. 

Just go to homedepot and get one.  I use a 1/3hp for my keg cleaners as described on the AHA mainpage.  (or it was)

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 05:37:09 pm »
[/i]
I have used the analog for a few years now and it still work like the day I got it. I dont have the fancy digital one but it most likley works well also. the analog is quite precise and easey to use.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 06:50:27 pm »

I use one of these:  http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Plumbing-Pumps-Utility/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Zasgg/R-100178274/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Works great.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dshepard

• Cellarman
  • Concord, NC
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 02:05:51 am »

This pump works great http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_792_792 Watch for sales, I think I got mine for around $30 brand new.
Concord, NC

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 10:42:21 am »
The digital model obviously gives you more setup options. The two I think I like the most are temp readout on the display, and anti-short cycling/ lockout on the compressor if there's a power failure.
Just brew it...

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 12:25:38 pm »
Thank you all for the advice!

I ordered the analog Johnson Controller today, figuring I can always upgrade later when I need another controller.

I am going to wait on the pump. I can chill the wort down to just under 80 with the IC, and get it into the mid-60's with chilled top off water.

Thanks again for the advice!
Dano
Tulsa, OK