Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: double o rings on my dip tubes? Yes? No?  (Read 737 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
double o rings on my dip tubes? Yes? No?
« on: January 05, 2022, 04:06:54 pm »
 I have 3 torpedo kegs and have had them for a while.  I decided to change all the gaskets as one of my pandemic activities and realized that the gaskets I had were super thick in comparison to my new gaskets.  Also, the gas inlet on the keg was not a nice smooth flush surface.  Is putting 2 dip tube gaskets in there ok to do or is that just a wack scenario? 
Thanks!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: double o rings on my dip tubes? Yes? No?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 04:22:23 pm »
You could try it, but they probably wouldn't seal properly. You really need to get the right seals.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 08:56:46 am »
Ive done it.  It might work.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 02:45:54 pm »
Putting 2 gaskets on your dip tube probably won't improve or degrade your seal. The idea is that the rubber squishes to conform to the metal surface and fill any deviations from perfect flatness. A gasket will probably seal against another gasket, but won't buy you anything. If you use a thinner seal on the dip tube than the original then your poppet spring will be less compressed and won't seal as tightly as before. Mine have lots of compression, though, and with the addition of pressure from the keg they should seal just fine even with a thinner gasket on the dip tube. Bottom line: it probably doesn't matter either way. The most important thing is that your o-rings are flexible and not cracked.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's