Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegland flow control quick disconnect foaming and low flow  (Read 613 times)

Offline Plop

• 1st Kit
Kegland flow control quick disconnect foaming and low flow
« on: January 20, 2022, 12:36:00 pm »
Hi there!

I recently started to keg, when I bought the equipment I figured it would be easier to have a quick disconnect with flow control (https://www.kegland.com.au/flow-control-ball-lock-disconnect-flow-restrictor.html) than having 10,000 ft of tubing in the kegerator.

I wanted to start with something simple and I made hop water. Then I started to run into foaming issues, the tap just pours foam and it does it really slowly.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Vq3sFJAGxtsXbPW9

I did some troubleshooting:
- took the keg out
- put another flow control QD on it without any tubing and same problem
- I replaced it with a standard QD without flow control and I get loads of pressure and pretty much no foam

The flow control is opened as much as it can, not sure why I get no pressure. No clue regarding the foam, design flaw?

Am I using those QDs wrong somehow? Or did I just waste money on those fancy QDs?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Kegland flow control quick disconnect foaming and low flow
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 12:48:17 pm »
I use flow control faucets on regular quick disconnects without any tubing. …but I get a very different result that the pour you’re getting.

I have found lower CO2 pressure works best — but not so low it doesn’t pour like in your video. 

I slowly pour a beer, let it settle a bit and allow the top layer of foam to dry, then top it off.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 12:50:57 pm by BrewBama »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Kegland flow control quick disconnect foaming and low flow
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 01:56:54 pm »
Is the keg fully carbonated and the headspace fully pressurized.  The times that I get that type of slow pour are usually those times where the keg has been sitting without CO2 and the headspace has insufficient pressure to push the beer adequately.  That is solved by increasing the pressure to the keg from the CO2 tank or putting it on CO2 and leaving it for a little while to build headspace pressure.  (I don't have adjustable flow control QDC's, though).

May be something along those lines....or maybe not!  Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"