Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what commercial beer are you unable to get? (an admission inside)  (Read 2485 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
reading over some beer stuff this morning, and realized i should finally open it up and discuss it.

i have never tasted almost any of the most iconic and famous american craft brew beers, even ones that have been out for 20 or 30 years.

ive never had a single product from russian river, 3 floyds, bells,

i've had 2 or 3 stone beers, one sierra nevada (PA), 2 or 3 DFH

etc. they were just never available in canada, or perhaps some of the lesser beers of these breweries were available in toronto/montreal for higher prices, anyway i didn't have them.

i will admit ive had a lot of famous european beers and a lot in general, but it used to frustrate me a lot that despite being so close geographically to america, ive never had so many famous examples of certain beers.

it's definitely impacted my brewing, as i'm pretty sit in my ways now about which hop varieties im familiar with and use, though i do occasionally try out some newer american hops.

from what i've read and from occasional visits to the states though i think i did get some better experience to decently-transported/stored european beer than americans. though as well, i haven't been to europe in person yet.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: what commercial beer are you unable to get? (an admission inside)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 08:52:48 am »
Don't be too surprised at not being able to get Russian River.  I've managed to get my hands on Pliny through some back channels, but many have never had it.  I think their distribution is something like 3 blocks in either direction.  :)

For some reason, here in NE PA, I can't find any Fuller's.  I need to drive at least an hour to find it.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 09:08:31 am »
I'm in Northwestern Nevada and can't find any Russian River beer at all. Evidently, they don't distribute in Nevada. I did finally get to try Pliny the Elder at a restaurant in Northshore Tahoe. IIRC, it was $16 for a pint. Great beer, but I wouldn't pay that price for it again. Outside of that, we're able to find most anything in Reno. Here in Fallon, we have a convenience store that stocks ~250 craft beers too.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 11:30:32 am »
I have tried almost all the iconic beers which were available 5 or more years ago. With the craft beer book it has been impossible to keep up so I stopped chasing the dragon. Back in the day with diligence you could try or obtain almost anything. I remember when Masala Mama IPA was the rage and I had a growler in NC despite the beer only being available at the time on draft in MN.

Today I really only chase a handful of Belgian breweries and often have them shipped to me from Belgium to save time and energy hunting for bottles. I also try to get everything I can get my hands on from Zebulon, an NC brewery.

I also don't get influenced by the hype. Back when I first became a beer geek we had roughly 25 breweries in NC. Today we have over 350. Enough it would take a year to visit them all if you only visited one per day. If I see something I want, I snag it when I see it.

Now the flip side is with Sierra Nevada being located in NC I get fresh SN all the time and keep something from them it in the fridge all the time.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 11:42:13 am »

For some reason, here in NE PA, I can't find any Fuller's.  I need to drive at least an hour to find it.

the european imports situation has gotten a lot worse. the ontario beer monopoly used to use their huge buying power correctly to get in-demand belgian and top quality british beers, but theyve completely neglected that now. i used to be able to get fullers london porter, ESB, LP and seasonals all the time for excellent prices. i cant get any fullers ATM though.

I did finally get to try Pliny the Elder at a restaurant in Northshore Tahoe. IIRC, it was $16 for a pint. Great beer, but I wouldn't pay that price for it again.

ha, yeah basically im talking about never having had a pliny the elder. i rememeber when everone was trying to create the truest clone. it seems like a fairly straightforward brew now.

I also don't get influenced by the hype. Back when I first became a beer geek we had roughly 25 breweries in NC. Today we have over 350. Enough it would take a year to visit them all if you only visited one per day. If I see something I want, I snag it when I see it.

i do like the idea of being inspired by some really special/new beer -ie. heady topper (never had it)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 11:48:59 am »
Heady Topper is ok, but on the blow your socks off scale it barely raises a shoelace.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 11:50:54 am »
Heady Topper is ok, but on the blow your socks off scale it barely raises a shoelace.

THIS.  The beer doesn't measure up to the hype.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 12:18:32 pm »
Russian River has hugely expanded its distribution footprint in NorCal, where I live, since it opened a production facility in Windsor. I can find extremely fresh Pliny the Elder--just a week old at times--and about a half-dozen other RR beers in any grocery or liquor store in my area, no matter how small or obscure. Even better is that the bottles are priced at $6-$7 each.

Hopefully you will get a chance to try fresh Pliny someday. I never waited hours in line for this beer when it was only available at the brewpub, which I don't live far from, but IMO this is a beer that lives up to the hype. It is true IPA perfection, AFAIC. It is impressive to me that RR beers are still incredible despite their production being stepped up to a much larger scale.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 12:22:22 pm »

I actually thought that Heady topper was a revelation when it first came out but I feel Treehouse and others blew it out of the water. I haven't had it, or looked for it, in years.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2022, 12:25:05 pm »
Russian River has hugely expanded its distribution footprint in NorCal, where I live, since it opened a production facility in Windsor. I can find extremely fresh Pliny the Elder--just a week old at times--and about a half-dozen other RR beers in any grocery or liquor store in my area, no matter how small or obscure. Even better is that the bottles are priced at $6-$7 each.

Hopefully you will get a chance to try fresh Pliny someday. I never waited hours in line for this beer when it was only available at the brewpub, which I don't live far from, but IMO this is a beer that lives up to the hype. It is true IPA perfection, AFAIC. It is impressive to me that RR beers are still incredible despite their production being stepped up to a much larger scale.

It's a good beer, but IMO not as good as Bale Breaker Bottom Cutter or Block 15 Sticky Hands.

ETA: ya know, instead of using a value judgement like "good", I'll say that I prefer the other 2.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2022, 12:48:01 pm »

It's a good beer, but IMO not as good as Bale Breaker Bottom Cutter or Block 15 Sticky Hands.

ETA: ya know, instead of using a value judgement like "good", I'll say that I prefer the other 2.

+1

For the record, I enjoy Heady Topper.  And I enjoy Pliny.  Both beers I would never refuse.  But I personally don't find that either are way above and beyond many other beers of the same style.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2022, 05:18:30 pm »
Mrs R had us booked into a B&B just uo the hill from there. I was excited walking down to the brewery. Then i tasted the beers on the serving tanks. They were fresh, too fresh,! I realized the hop burn the fanboys talk about was over the top astringency.

Other beer places in Vermont were a letdown too.

The Cider, however, was really good.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 02:33:43 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 09:27:08 am »

I actually thought that Heady topper was a revelation when it first came out but I feel Treehouse and others blew it out of the water. I haven't had it, or looked for it, in years.
Exact same thoughts here. Now that everyone has taken the ball and run with it, NEIPA has evolved far beyond what it started as, but that's no slight on Heady. It just about singlehandedly began a new beer style that has become far spread. That being said, I'll take a Julius or Haze over Heady any day.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 09:34:00 am »
To get back to the OP, as much as I love lambic I've never been able to get my hands on any Cantillon or 3 Fonteinen. I've also never had any Russian River. I know that there's a lot of other great US beer out there, but Pliny is really the only one that I'd like to try just to see what it's all about.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 10:14:05 am »
To get back to the OP, as much as I love lambic I've never been able to get my hands on any Cantillon or 3 Fonteinen. I've also never had any Russian River. I know that there's a lot of other great US beer out there, but Pliny is really the only one that I'd like to try just to see what it's all about.

Etre Gourmet just has Cantillon in stock and regularly (and currently) has 3 Fonteinen. I recently bought several bottles of Dust from them with an order. FWIW, they still have a few Rose left. https://www.bieresgourmet.be/en/other-fruit-lambic/2240-cantillon-rose-de-gambrinus-2021.html