Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maredsous 8 or in the neighborhood thereof  (Read 1994 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Maredsous 8 or in the neighborhood thereof
« on: January 07, 2022, 10:26:37 am »
Anyone have a good recipe to share? Brew Like a Monk has some guidance (Pils, caramalt, roasted malt, Styrian Goldings, Saaz, Duvel yeast) but I'm wondering if anyone has built a recipe they like. I have brewed a golden ale with WY1388 several times and am guessing that's a good fit.  The LHBS carries Weyermann® CARAFA Special Type 1 which sounds like it might be good for the "roasted malt" which I assume should not actually be all that roasty.

Brewing Classic Styles recommends "dark Belgian candi syrup" for its dubbel and the cook in me wonders if caramel made from cane sugar would have the same effect. That said the LHBS carries dark Belgian candi syrup so I can certainly buy it.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Maredsous 8 or in the neighborhood thereof
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 11:47:22 am »
Anyone have a good recipe to share? Brew Like a Monk has some guidance (Pils, caramalt, roasted malt, Styrian Goldings, Saaz, Duvel yeast) but I'm wondering if anyone has built a recipe they like. I have brewed a golden ale with WY1388 several times and am guessing that's a good fit.  The LHBS carries Weyermann® CARAFA Special Type 1 which sounds like it might be good for the "roasted malt" which I assume should not actually be all that roasty.

Brewing Classic Styles recommends "dark Belgian candi syrup" for its dubbel and the cook in me wonders if caramel made from cane sugar would have the same effect. That said the LHBS carries dark Belgian candi syrup so I can certainly buy it.

So, candisyrup the brand is pretty focused on belgian beer and they have a huge recipe list. TBH im no expert at brewing belgian beer, I have always struggled a bit with it. They have a maredsous 8 recipe here, not sure if its accurate or anything though.

http://www.candisyrup.com/recipes.html

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 11:53:03 am »
I have never had a homemade candi syrup that was anywhere close to what candisyrup.com does. For that beer I'd recommend D180.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 11:53:38 am »

So, candisyrup the brand is pretty focused on belgian beer and they have a huge recipe list. TBH im no expert at brewing belgian beer, I have always struggled a bit with it. They have a maredsous 8 recipe here, not sure if its accurate or anything though.

http://www.candisyrup.com/recipes.html

They have several of my recipes there.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 01:19:59 pm »
I have never had a homemade candi syrup that was anywhere close to what candisyrup.com does. For that beer I'd recommend D180.

1) thank you for the candi syrup recommendation - the LHBS carries D180
2) thank you for pointing me to the recipes on the candi syrup site.

I notice the Maredsous 8 recipe on candisyrup.com uses Dingemans Mout Roost 900 and Simplicity candi syrup:

10.0 Dingeman’s Belgian Pilsner
0.50 Dingeman’s Mout Roost 900
0.50 Dingeman’s Cara 8
2.00 Simplicity (Candi Syrup, Inc.)

That aligns with what BLAM says for Maredsous 8... that said I wonder if I'd be happier with the final product (even if it's less "authentic") if I used D180 and no roast malt.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 01:41:37 pm »

I notice the Maredsous 8 recipe on candisyrup.com uses Dingemans Mout Roost 900 and Simplicity candi syrup:

0.50 Dingeman’s Cara 8

That aligns with what BLAM says for Maredsous 8... that said I wonder if I'd be happier with the final product (even if it's less "authentic") if I used D180 and no roast malt.

I guess it depends on how close you want to get. I think it would be delicious either way.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 04:35:41 pm »

0.50 Dingeman’s Cara 8

so a lot of people have strong opinions on any candi syrup that is clear or light - that it is not going to impart any special flavour OR conversely that there is some special process that occurs somehow in making it "candi syrup". i recall good results from making inverted syrup of a low colour value. i have not had the results one would expect from a really professional/good belgian beer by using either cane sugar of corn sugar. (i made a "good", drinkable beer using 1lb of corn sugar as a sugar this year though, but not excellent at all).

again, i'm no expert at all regarding candi syrup or belgian beers, but check out a bunch of those recipes, and theyre all pretty similar, just with variations on using D180, D90, D45, clear syrup etc. similar grists/hopping.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 06:18:52 pm »

0.50 Dingeman’s Cara 8

so a lot of people have strong opinions on any candi syrup that is clear or light - that it is not going to impart any special flavour OR conversely that there is some special process that occurs somehow in making it "candi syrup". i recall good results from making inverted syrup of a low colour value. i have not had the results one would expect from a really professional/good belgian beer by using either cane sugar of corn sugar. (i made a "good", drinkable beer using 1lb of corn sugar as a sugar this year though, but not excellent at all).

again, i'm no expert at all regarding candi syrup or belgian beers, but check out a bunch of those recipes, and theyre all pretty similar, just with variations on using D180, D90, D45, clear syrup etc. similar grists/hopping.

Thanks -- I only get a few brew days per year and I'd just as soon lavish good ingredients on them. Yes, I have looked at a lot of recipes -- the joy of a vacation day (lots of errands but still some brew stuff). It's interesting that dubbel isn't a style strongly represented in the AHA recipe collection.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 11:22:09 am »
Thanks -- I only get a few brew days per year and I'd just as soon lavish good ingredients on them. Yes, I have looked at a lot of recipes -- the joy of a vacation day (lots of errands but still some brew stuff). It's interesting that dubbel isn't a style strongly represented in the AHA recipe collection.

It's not a style you see terribly often (usually overshadowed by bolder quads) brewed in the US. When you find recipes they almost always closely model a handful of Belgian renditions so not much to contribute to the discussion.

I'm also in the camp that caramelizing cane/corn sugar doesn't produce anywhere near the same results. Those darker syrups are produced by a large food processor where they have access to vacuum boilers and other equipment plus access to raw ingredients we don't. Conversely IMO the clear syrups and rock sugar don't seem to add anything and in that case inverted sugar or even sugar right out of the sack is just fine.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2022, 11:29:36 am »

It's not a style you see terribly often (usually overshadowed by bolder quads) brewed in the US. When you find recipes they almost always closely model a handful of Belgian renditions so not much to contribute to the discussion.

I'm also in the camp that caramelizing cane/corn sugar doesn't produce anywhere near the same results. Those darker syrups are produced by a large food processor where they have access to vacuum boilers and other equipment plus access to raw ingredients we don't. Conversely IMO the clear syrups and rock sugar don't seem to add anything and in that case inverted sugar or even sugar right out of the sack is just fine.

there is the one study from a long while ago that found you really need lye (a PITA to handle on the homebrew scale) and i think yeast nutrient (as some kind of protein(?) necessary i believe) along with sucrose plus time to create passable candi sugar/syrup.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2022, 01:10:47 pm »

After writing about my preference for the best ingredients I then reflected that my best brew is a Belgian golden strong that uses cane sugar. Your comment that the clear Belgian sugars and syrups don't contribute all that much helps explain that anomaly.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2022, 05:10:31 pm »
This is the recipe I've come up with so far. Thoughts? It is 3 gallons no-sparge (mashed & boiled in my M&B).

6 lbs Belgian pils
8 oz Munich
8 oz Aromatic
2 oz Special B
1 lb D-180
Hops
Wyeast 1388

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2022, 08:59:16 am »
This is the recipe I've come up with so far. Thoughts? It is 3 gallons no-sparge (mashed & boiled in my M&B).

6 lbs Belgian pils
8 oz Munich
8 oz Aromatic
2 oz Special B
1 lb D-180
Hops
Wyeast 1388

I'd say it's in the ballpark, although I think I'd use a yeast with more character.  Maybe 3787 rather than 1388.  OTOH, it's is made by Duvel, so maybe 1388 would be correct. Flip a coin!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 09:00:49 am by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2022, 09:51:53 am »

6 lbs Belgian pils
8 oz Munich
8 oz Aromatic
2 oz Special B
1 lb D-180
Hops
Wyeast 1388

I'd say it's in the ballpark, although I think I'd use a yeast with more character.  Maybe 3787 rather than 1388.  OTOH, it's is made by Duvel, so maybe 1388 would be correct. Flip a coin!

Thanks, Denny! I'm committed to that yeast (the candisyrup.com recipes for Maredsous 8 and 10 specify it and it is really my very favorite yeast these days; I find it super-delicious in my Belgian golden strong ales) but I was worried about things like will I get good attenuation with that balance of grain to syrup, etc. I've seen recipes that use much smaller amounts of syrup and add cane sugar, and I don't know if that's because the syrup doesn't attenuate as well or some other reason. Since D-180 comes in a one-pound bag, I thought I might as well use the whole bag unless there were a reason not to.

I've run the numbers and I think it will be ok, but hey it's 3 gallons and (once I put all the ingredients together... interesting supply chain issues) we'll find out. I'm guessing if you're commenting on the yeast I must be on the right track. :-)

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2022, 09:55:02 am »

6 lbs Belgian pils
8 oz Munich
8 oz Aromatic
2 oz Special B
1 lb D-180
Hops
Wyeast 1388

Thanks, Denny! I'm committed to that yeast (the candisyrup.com recipes for Maredsous 8 and 10 specify it and it is really my very favorite yeast these days; I find it super-delicious in my Belgian golden strong ales) but I was worried about things like will I get good attenuation with that balance of grain to syrup, etc. I've seen recipes that use much smaller amounts of syrup and add cane sugar, and I don't know if that's because the syrup doesn't attenuate as well or some other reason. Since D-180 comes in a one-pound bag, I thought I might as well use the whole bag unless there were a reason not to.

I've run the numbers and I think it will be ok, but hey it's 3 gallons and (once I put all the ingredients together... interesting supply chain issues) we'll find out. I'm guessing if you're commenting on the yeast I must be on the right track. :-)

I've used D180 a lot and always gotten great attenuation so you shouldn't worry about that. The grist looks fine to me.

www.dennybrew.com