Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SNPA help  (Read 1043 times)

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
SNPA help
« on: February 20, 2022, 06:11:31 pm »
I love Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I finally decided to try cloning it.  My recipe called for Magnum at 60, Perle at 30, finish with Cascade.  I didn't have Perle, so I subbed in Northern Brewer.  It turned out pretty well.  I'd like to make another batch, but I'm out of Northern Brewer and can't find Perle anywhere. What can I substitute for my substitute?  I have a bunch of nobels, Tett, Hallertau, Saaz, and plenty of Ale hops.  What do you all think? Maybe a little Saaz and some Centennial with a touch of Tettnang to replace the Perle? Or a little Citra, or Mt Hood... Open to ideas.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: SNPA help
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 06:14:08 pm »
https://sierranevada.com/blog/pale-ale-homebrew-recipe/

I'd use this.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 06:19:02 pm »
I've got plenty of Cascade. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 06:54:36 pm »
They have gone back to all Cascade hops, as it originally was. It has used others over the years.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 10:31:05 am »
I love Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I finally decided to try cloning it.  My recipe called for Magnum at 60, Perle at 30, finish with Cascade.  I didn't have Perle, so I subbed in Northern Brewer.  It turned out pretty well.  I'd like to make another batch, but I'm out of Northern Brewer and can't find Perle anywhere. What can I substitute for my substitute?  I have a bunch of nobels, Tett, Hallertau, Saaz, and plenty of Ale hops.  What do you all think? Maybe a little Saaz and some Centennial with a touch of Tettnang to replace the Perle? Or a little Citra, or Mt Hood... Open to ideas.

this is the old recipe, they've since moved to all cascade. If you wanted to stick with the old recipe, Mt. Hood would probably get you closest to Perle.