Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: how large yeast pitch for lager  (Read 682 times)

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
how large yeast pitch for lager
« on: January 08, 2022, 05:57:57 am »
Long story short, my old ferm fridge died and I bought a new one. I found out used ones are hard to find here.
It's winter so I'm doing more lagers. I had a Vienna lager that I used WY 2206 turn out well and saved the yeast. I put 100ml in a quart starter and stepped up with two more quarts. This is what Brewer's Friend calculator suggested. It's finishing up and dropping yeast out and there is about 3/4"
in the bottom of a gal jug. This looks like a lot of yeast so my question is how many ml should I pitch in a 1.056 OG Dunkel after decanting most of the liquid.
  thanks and Prost

Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: how large yeast pitch for lager
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 06:31:19 am »
I would pitch all of it. A little extra won’t hurt, but too little could.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 02:47:45 pm »
I guess I'll pitch the whole thing and ferment cool at 48*. Thanks Tommy
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 09:16:22 pm »
I agree.  All of it.
Far better to dare mighty things....