Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lutra kveik - off flavor  (Read 3459 times)

Offline WilliEE

• 1st Kit
Lutra kveik - off flavor
« on: January 05, 2022, 03:44:17 pm »
Has anyone had an issue with off flavor from Lutra kveik yeast?

I made a SMaSH with Maris Otter and EKG hops, using Lutra.  Fermented at room temp, about 70F, until no more activity, about 6 days, kegged it on either the 7th or 8th day, I can't remember.  I just remember I couldn't get to it on the 6th day, but there was still a little activity that morning anyway.

When I kegged it, it tasted OK, about like I expected (although a little bitter - overdid the EKG I think).

After a week or two in the fridge in the keg, at about 34F or so, I gave it a try and there was a faint off-flavor.  Since then, now at about week 5, that off flavor is stronger, a bit rubbery, hinting at autolysis.  But could this be normal for Lutra?  Is this the "fruitiness" it supposed to have?

Considering trying the same SMaSH again but with good ol' Safale S-04 and laying off the Lutra kveik, but I sure would like to know if I did something wrong, or if it just is what it is.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Lutra kveik - off flavor
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 07:16:20 pm »
Our local kveik enthusiast distributed Lutra to the club and we did a tasting, this was over a year ago.  A few batches turned out good.  Most turned out less than stellar.  Mine and one other turned out tasting like CANNED TUNA.  Sour and vinegary.  Not sure if that was our faults, independently, or contaminated source yeast.  My guess is the latter.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 08:27:22 pm »
I get an off flavor from kveik in general. Don’t care for it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 10:21:56 am by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 08:55:59 am »
I get an off flavor fro kviek in general. Don’t care for it.

Same here.  People tell me they make clean kveik beers, but I've never had one.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 09:05:43 am »
I've only used Lutra a few times, but it was super clean. The Pils I brewed with it definitely passed as a lager after some cold-conditioning.

FWIW, I pitch Lutra in the low 80's, then ferment at room temp (around 70F ambient) without any extra heat. Fermentation activity is done by day 3 and I keg around day 5. I do find that Lutra gives better results after 4-6 weeks of cold conditioning, but I haven't tried gelatin or finings to hasten the clearing process.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 12:31:01 pm »
yup, as people said i simply don't see any benefit or use for kveik other than that it can ferment at temps that would not make a good beer with other yeasts.

i believe i will try it this summer when its too hot for me to brew other stuff and see if i can make adequate summer beer.

Offline Don

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 06:14:34 pm »
I got a diacetyl flavor from Voss in a bitter. It cleared up after a week or so.... strange.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 10:05:21 am »
I've only used Lutra a few times, but it was super clean. The Pils I brewed with it definitely passed as a lager after some cold-conditioning.

FWIW, I pitch Lutra in the low 80's, then ferment at room temp (around 70F ambient) without any extra heat. Fermentation activity is done by day 3 and I keg around day 5. I do find that Lutra gives better results after 4-6 weeks of cold conditioning, but I haven't tried gelatin or finings to hasten the clearing process.

I had a similar experience, I did a split batch between Lutra and OYL 114 Bayern Lager and shared it with my club. Most preferred Bayern Lager, I got a bit of an earthy note with Lutra although it was pretty clean. After about a month it cleaned up.