Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water chemistry works  (Read 787 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Water chemistry works
« on: January 13, 2022, 10:12:39 pm »
My first attempt at using my tap water with ward lab’s report and Bru’n water to get the proper ph worked!  I brewed my house porter which I am very familiar with and I usually brew with store bought spring water and have never measured ph.  This time I shot for and got a ph of 5.55.  Usually the porter is good (imho), but does have an aftertaste that lingers and is a bit astringent.  I’m assuming the mash ph was coming in too low.  This time that aftertaste is noticeably gone and the beer is definitely improved.  I wish I hadn’t waited over a decade to start playing with water chemistry. Cheers.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Water chemistry works
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 10:32:52 pm »
My first attempt at using my tap water with ward lab’s report and Bru’n water to get the proper ph worked!  I brewed my house porter which I am very familiar with and I usually brew with store bought spring water and have never measured ph.  This time I shot for and got a ph of 5.55.  Usually the porter is good (imho), but does have an aftertaste that lingers and is a bit astringent.  I’m assuming the mash ph was coming in too low.  This time that aftertaste is noticeably gone and the beer is definitely improved.  I wish I hadn’t waited over a decade to start playing with water chemistry. Cheers.

sounds good, i know that feeling of waiting so long on a certain aspect you feel like youre "behind" or whatever. we all brew, we all drink it and it disappears... lol

im trying to dial in beyond the recommended water profiles to what i like, and also going with tap water rather than RO to save a bit more money and effort if possible.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 04:40:57 pm »
Isn't awesome that: 1) science works, and 2) Martin provides a free version of that spreadsheet?

Sometimes I wish the whole world could do a better job appreciating science and what they get for free!

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 06:19:32 am »
Isn't awesome that: 1) science works, and 2) Martin provides a free version of that spreadsheet?

Sometimes I wish the whole world could do a better job appreciating science and what they get for free!

Very well said!  +100
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉