Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Winch/Pulley/Hoist Pics?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Winch/Pulley/Hoist Pics?
« on: July 04, 2021, 03:36:37 pm »
My favorite handyperson company has some time for us in a few days and I'm thinking of asking them to install a winch or pulley for lifting the malt pipe out of my Mash & Boil. I can barely lift it myself when it's full of wet grain, even though the M&B is fairly low to the ground, and I worry that I'll lose my balance and fall. (I am short, and though I am fit in other ways I do not have good upper body strength.) I use my M&B just outside the garage under a pavilion -- great protection from the elements, plus light & power.

If you have some sort of simple lift assist I'd love to see pictures to show them.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Winch/Pulley/Hoist Pics?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 05:55:11 pm »
I bought this one for 3 gallon batches. This makes lifting the bag for a 3 gallon batch super light. I really bought it to hold the bag over a bucket to drain. I have mine hung on a nail into the door jam. It seems secure enough for my batches.

https://www.brewinabag.com/products/ratchet-pulley-1-4-metal-150-lbs

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 06:15:16 pm »
I bought the 3/8ths inch rope model.  I can use it for 10 gallon batches- no problem.  Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 06:13:49 am »
Thanks all!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 09:04:21 am »
I bought the 3/8" pulley months back and on Friday decided to complete this job myself. Got it done in a few minutes for a grand total of $25 (pulley, 5/16" hook, and drill bit). It was an absolute game-changer for yesterday's brew--and it felt far safer to be hoisting the malt pipe from a pulley while standing on the ground than struggling to lift it by hand while standing on a step stool. I did have to get on a step stool to attach the pulley to the hook and then later to release the pulley, but that didn't feel unsafe. After the malt pipe had mostly drained, I realized I could hitch it up a little higher while starting the boil and get the last few drips out.

Several times over the years some brewing process or idea I found on the Internet hasn't panned out... this was not one of those times.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 03:40:07 pm »
I bought a pulley a few months ago. It’s great. I primarily use it to hang a BIAB bag over a kettle to collect drips. My batches are 3 gallons so I can lift the bag, but using the pulley feels more controlled and steady and I can obviously leave it hanging on the pulley a lot longer than I can hold it on my own.