Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pliny the Elder water profile  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Philip McCaugherty

• Cellarman
Pliny the Elder water profile
« on: January 11, 2022, 10:27:30 am »
Hi

Does anyone know what the water profile is for this beer? I have noticed some references to Mosher's 'Ideal Pale Ale' profile which has a huge sulphate amount of 350. Something I am struggling to get up to without adding too much Ca.

Thanks in advance
Phil
Someone once told me that making my own beer was a great way to save money. What a load of shyte that was!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Pliny the Elder water profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 11:14:30 am »
To increase Sulfate without adding Calcium, use Epsom Salt (MgSO4). I generally use equal amounts of Gypsum and Epsom Salt for higher Sulfate levels.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 11:44:09 am »
To increase Sulfate without adding Calcium, use Epsom Salt (MgSO4). I generally use equal amounts of Gypsum and Epsom Salt for higher Sulfate levels.
Yeah but won't that increase the magnesium levels substantially? My baseline mg level is 9 and the Mosher profile calls for 18. I am fairly new to water chemistry. Does the mg level not play that significant a role in the overall profile?
Someone once told me that making my own beer was a great way to save money. What a load of shyte that was!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 12:41:42 pm »
Yeah but won't that increase the magnesium levels substantially? My baseline mg level is 9 and the Mosher profile calls for 18. I am fairly new to water chemistry. Does the mg level not play that significant a role in the overall profile?

good question, i am super cautious with muh MgSO4. i heard it can really be bad even over 30ppm

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 05:38:45 pm »
A gram of Epsom Salt dissolved in 5 gallons of water adds 5.2 ppm Magnesium and 20.6 ppm Sulfate. I often add 4 or 5 grams to the mash without any adverse effects. I usually don't do brewing salt additions post mash.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 05:42:01 pm by Bob357 »
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 10:12:33 am »
A gram of Epsom Salt dissolved in 5 gallons of water adds 5.2 ppm Magnesium and 20.6 ppm Sulfate. I often add 4 or 5 grams to the mash without any adverse effects. I usually don't do brewing salt additions post mash.
I plan to have my tap water analysed to give me more accurate numbers. I have 5.7g of epsom addition that pushes my mg total to 29.1 ppm

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 10:16:24 am »
I plan to have my tap water analysed to give me more accurate numbers. I have 5.7g of epsom addition that pushes my mg total to 29.1 ppm

Good idea. You probably shouldn't make any water additions until know your starting point.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 11:02:00 am »

Good idea. You probably shouldn't make any water additions until know your starting point.
To get to your destination, you need to know where you are.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 12:17:47 pm »

i was confused about my tap water, so phoned the water treatment dept myself and they were happy/interested to send me the data re: homebrewing. i think i just phoned city hall offices and asked, and they linked me.

what does 5.7g of epsom salt look like flat on a tsp?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 01:07:02 pm »

i was confused about my tap water, so phoned the water treatment dept myself and they were happy/interested to send me the data re: homebrewing. i think i just phoned city hall offices and asked, and they linked me.

When I have used it, it looks white and grainy... :P
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 03:18:01 am »

The stuff i have is semi see-through and I rarely use my spoons because I am trying to be so accurate, scales are needed. I might just tinker with the amounts to get them to suit spoon measurements though. I have had my doubts about the accuracy of my scales, even though they measure 0.1g.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 11:37:21 pm by dbeechum »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 09:26:21 am »

The stuff i have is semi see-through and I rarely use my spoons because I am trying to be so accurate, scales are needed. I might just tinker with the amounts to get them to suit spoon measurements though. I have had my doubts about the accuracy of my scales, even though they measure 0.1g.

yeah, i asked because that is a weakpoint of mine, my scale goes to the gram, no decimal points, and i feel like its not exact to the individual gram but more like within 2 to 5 grams. so i'm keeping estimated weights in bru'n'water and writing "1/2 flat tsp" etc in my notes
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 11:37:38 pm by dbeechum »

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 11:43:13 am »
I'm friends with a former brewer at Russian River. The water going into the brewery is quite soft and they add a remarkable amount of calcium sulfate, both in the mash and boil. I think 300ppm is a reasonable amount of sulfate to shoot for. He says they arent overly concerned with a high calcium content resulting from the mineral additions.

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 12:04:08 pm »
I'm friends with a former brewer at Russian River. The water going into the brewery is quite soft and they add a remarkable amount of calcium sulfate, both in the mash and boil. I think 300ppm is a reasonable amount of sulfate to shoot for. He says they arent overly concerned with a high calcium content resulting from the mineral additions.
Awesome. Thanks for the top tip, mate.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 10:48:32 am »
Awesome. Thanks for the top tip, mate.

happy to help.