Author Topic: Transferring wort from Kettle to Fermenter  (Read 454 times)

Offline Jefferson Coastal

• 1st Kit
Transferring wort from Kettle to Fermenter
« on: January 11, 2022, 02:38:11 pm »
I know some home brewers transfer all (or most) of the wort and some use a filter.

Looking to see best practices and if you do filter, what is the most effective method.

Thanks

Offline HopDen

• Brewmaster
Re: Transferring wort from Kettle to Fermenter
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 03:09:41 pm »
I know some home brewers transfer all (or most) of the wort and some use a filter.

Looking to see best practices and if you do filter, what is the most effective method.

Thanks
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/hop-stopper

This is what I use and I am happy with it.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 03:15:40 pm »

Thanks

i have a KISS system for the most part. so i use a racking cane and tube

i started using a hopspider about 2 years ago and it has made trub a non-issue for me. i occasionally do a batch without fully using the hopspider, as the hopspider does reduce the IBU and the hop flavour, and it is night and day.

i guess im saying with a hopspider i have zero concerns on minimizing trub, also the data tends to point towards a cloudy wort providing a healthier fermentation than ultra-clear wort.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 03:47:49 pm »
I pump until the bottom of the kettle is covered with trub. I know some goes into the fermenter but not a lot. Doesn't seem detrimental.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 04:08:13 pm »
I do pretty much the same as Denny. I whirlpool while chilling which forms a trub cone in the center of my kettle. Then I pump as slowly as I can from the kettle into the fermenter, and I stop when the trub cone spreads out to cover the bottom of the kettle. I may get a bit of trub in the fermenter but very little.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 08:33:42 pm »
I only use whole hops in the kettle.  The hops form a filter bed which prevents most trub from getting pumped into the fermenter.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Richard

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 09:08:27 am »
Filters can get plugged up with the material you are filtering out. I tried a filter on my dip tube once and it was a disaster.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's