Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Transferring wort from Kettle to Fermenter  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Jefferson Coastal

• Cellarman
Transferring wort from Kettle to Fermenter
« on: January 11, 2022, 02:38:11 pm »
I know some home brewers transfer all (or most) of the wort and some use a filter.

Looking to see best practices and if you do filter, what is the most effective method.

Thanks

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Transferring wort from Kettle to Fermenter
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 03:09:41 pm »
I know some home brewers transfer all (or most) of the wort and some use a filter.

Looking to see best practices and if you do filter, what is the most effective method.

Thanks
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/hop-stopper

This is what I use and I am happy with it.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 03:15:40 pm »

Thanks

i have a KISS system for the most part. so i use a racking cane and tube

i started using a hopspider about 2 years ago and it has made trub a non-issue for me. i occasionally do a batch without fully using the hopspider, as the hopspider does reduce the IBU and the hop flavour, and it is night and day.

i guess im saying with a hopspider i have zero concerns on minimizing trub, also the data tends to point towards a cloudy wort providing a healthier fermentation than ultra-clear wort.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 03:47:49 pm »
I pump until the bottom of the kettle is covered with trub. I know some goes into the fermenter but not a lot. Doesn't seem detrimental.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 04:08:13 pm »
I do pretty much the same as Denny. I whirlpool while chilling which forms a trub cone in the center of my kettle. Then I pump as slowly as I can from the kettle into the fermenter, and I stop when the trub cone spreads out to cover the bottom of the kettle. I may get a bit of trub in the fermenter but very little.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 08:33:42 pm »
I only use whole hops in the kettle.  The hops form a filter bed which prevents most trub from getting pumped into the fermenter.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 09:08:27 am »
Filters can get plugged up with the material you are filtering out. I tried a filter on my dip tube once and it was a disaster.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 04:15:12 pm »
I only use whole hops in the kettle.  The hops form a filter bed which prevents most trub from getting pumped into the fermenter.

We do likewise. Plus, a fine mesh nylon hop filter is used to strain the wort as it goes into the ferment vessel. You would be shocked to see all of the grunge that gets filtered out.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 10:03:12 pm »
For a couple of years, I increased my batch size by 1/2 gallon and transferred crystal clear wort into the fermenter. I saw absolutely no improvement in the end product. For the 10 or so years since, I've transferred several different ways without much concern about trub. The trub settles out, compacts along with the yeast and has no negative effect whatsoever. As long as you're not pushing the volume of your fermenter(s), I see nothing wrong with transferring trub.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 06:01:19 am »
For a couple of years, I increased my batch size by 1/2 gallon and transferred crystal clear wort into the fermenter. I saw absolutely no improvement in the end product. For the 10 or so years since, I've transferred several different ways without much concern about trub. The trub settles out, compacts along with the yeast and has no negative effect whatsoever. As long as you're not pushing the volume of your fermenter(s), I see nothing wrong with transferring trub.

I’m inclined to agree with Bob.  I use Muslin Hop Bags in the boil kettle.  I’m sure my hop utilization is declined a bit.  But I adjusted for it in my software.

I’m sure some grub gets into my fermenter.  But it sinks to the bottom with the yeast.  No worries.  I have to use the bags because I pump the wort through a plate cooler and I don’t want to clog it.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 06:01:58 am »
I like to have ~6-6.5 gal  in the kettle post boil.  I recirculate to form a hop cone and drain into the fermenter from the edge of the kettle. I fill to 5.5 gal in the fermenter. I still get some trüb in the fermenter but I have a cone below the fermenter spigot to give the trüb a place to settle.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 07:45:12 am »
I use either a hop spider or hop socks in the boil. I don't worry about what gets in the fermenter.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2022, 10:24:29 am »

This has been covered in another thread, but the reason we filter the wort is exactly what you state...trub settles out, compacting with the yeast. We harvest our yeast and want it to be free and clear of any unwanted material, such as trub.  Our yeast harvest is hyper-clean.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2022, 10:52:27 am »
I do extract brewing with Hop pellets.  I have not noticed a lot of crud at the bottom of the boil kettle so I just pour it from the cooled kettle into my fermenting bucket.  Add water to make up the difference and stir well.  This has been what the instructions have said to do.  Once the yeast is added,  put in in a closet that stays anywhere between 60 to 70 degrees and wait.  Once it is ready to keg, I then become very vigilant on oxygen getting added to the mix and use a hose on the end of my fermenter and gravity feed into my keg, slowly as to not splash or have too much bubbles.  I have a floating dip tube on my keg that I installed on my last brew and it has been great.  RR

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2022, 04:02:54 pm »
Whirlpool and allow trub to settle in center of kettle. Draw clear wort off the trub, at the periphery of the kettle. I do have a stainless braid over the slots on my pickup tube. Works well for me.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks