Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: False Bottom in Boil Kettle  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Bozinator

• Cellarman
False Bottom in Boil Kettle
« on: July 27, 2022, 04:52:43 pm »
Was wondering how many of you use a false bottom in your boil kettle? I'm sure there are two answers but was wondering what the majority is. Also if I go with a false bottom could I use whole hops in the boil to act as a filter like in my mash. I have only brewed extracts and will be going into all grain. I have a cooler mash tun and now thinking of the build on my keggle. Please advise

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Re: False Bottom in Boil Kettle
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 05:07:02 pm »
Was wondering how many of you use a false bottom in your boil kettle? I'm sure there are two answers but was wondering what the majority is. Also if I go with a false bottom could I use whole hops in the boil to act as a filter like in my mash. I have only brewed extracts and will be going into all grain. I have a cooler mash tun and now thinking of the build on my keggle. Please advise

Let me first start by saying I am very new.  I have done a few BIAB All grain brews so take what I have to say as such.  I have a false bottom on the Gas One kettle that my wife was nice enough to buy me as a gift.  For BIAB I don't think it is needed, but if I ever go full All grain I will use it.  I also have a bazooka screen that attaches to the ball valve.  To me, that is much more useful as it traps a lot of the crud that the false bottom misses.  If I was using full cone hops, yes, the false bottom would catch a lot of the crap from the hops.  My next "build" will be a Mash tun out of a 10 gallon Igloo cooler and use the Gas One kettle as my boil kettle.  But that is a bit off for now. 

Good luck, and I am sure you will get some great answers from the folks here. 

RR

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 05:52:25 pm »
No. I have never used a false bottom in a boil kettle.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 06:48:22 pm »

I'm not that much less new than RR, but you asked for opinions...

When I do all grain batches, I do no-sparge BIAB (BIAB is "full all grain", thankyouverymuch 😉) which means my kettle is my hot liquor tank is my mash tun. I have found a false bottom can be handy for keeping the grain bag clear of heating elements, spigots, temperature probes, and other h/w at the bottom of the kettle.

So, I guess my answer is Yes, but not for any of the motivations you suggested. 🤷‍♂️
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 08:04:45 pm »

I have been brewing for 20 years ish and I have never used a false bottom in my boil kettle when I had a separate mash tun.  But I did use one in my mash tun.   Now that I use an all in one (M&B), I use one to keep my grain bags off the bottom so it won't scorch the bag.  I used to cram a stainless scrubbie onto the end of my pick up tube to filter out bits.  But they then invented hop blockers and hop stoppers.  I even made a filter out of the stainless braid covering from a toilet water supply line.  Some old guy wrote a Cheap and Easy sparge article before all of this fancy stuff was made just for brewing and gave me that idea. (thanks Denny!) But nope.  Never had a false bottom in a dedicated boil kettle

Offline Bozinator

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 08:39:38 pm »
Thanks Guys:

I have a false bottom in my mash tun and have a 15.5 keg that will be my boil kettle and was wondering who or if any one uses it in the boil kettle. There are so many places selling false bottoms for a 15.5 keg wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not. Trying not to spend my hard earned money on expensive and/or unnecessary s***. Im not buying a thermometer for the mash tun, cauce those cooler hold temp so good. Leaning torwards no false bottom.  I am also growing hops at home (second year) if I start to use whole hops in the batch. wouldnt a false bottom be essential?????

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 09:29:50 pm »
Thanks Guys:

I have a false bottom in my mash tun and have a 15.5 keg that will be my boil kettle and was wondering who or if any one uses it in the boil kettle. There are so many places selling false bottoms for a 15.5 keg wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not. Trying not to spend my hard earned money on expensive and/or unnecessary s***. Im not buying a thermometer for the mash tun, cauce those cooler hold temp so good. Leaning torwards no false bottom.  I am also growing hops at home (second year) if I start to use whole hops in the batch. wouldnt a false bottom be essential?????

Oh yah man.  That is exactly what I had it on.  So I have a keggle with a 1/2 FPT bulkhead welded in.  To that I have a elbowed dip tube that picks up 1/3 of the way to the center.  Back in the olden days, many brewers would put a stainless scrubbie on there and it would pick up all kinds of trub.  I still do that today but now recirculate through a hop spider to clean out some of that before I connect my plate chiller.  I do not let loose hops in my boil kettle.  I tried once and hated that experience.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
False Bottom in Boil Kettle
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 07:01:31 am »
When I used whole cone hops I used a false bottom in the BK. I quit using whole cone hops because I often can’t find the varieties I am looking for in whole cones. So, it now sits in the ‘old brew gear boneyard’ along with some other great ideas at the time.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 07:04:22 am by BrewBama »

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 07:10:13 am »
No. I have never used a false bottom in a boil kettle.

Ditto.

My false bottom is in the mash tun.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 07:48:13 am »
Yes. It is great for whole cones. It works well for low charges of pellets. I just had the idea to try a BIAB in the boil kettle to contain big loads of pellet hops while still using the false bottom. Will try it later this summer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2022, 08:03:51 am »
I have a false bottom in a brew kettle that was used with propane back in the day (all electric anymore).  The FB was part of the pick up tube and I assume it was done that way due to contemplated whole hop usage.  I don’t worry about trub much anymore….
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2022, 07:30:21 am »
Yes, I have a false bottom in my boil kettle because I draw from the center of the keggle.  See my other post on transferring from the kettle to the fermenter.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2022, 08:38:55 am »
When I used a traditional kettle, I used a side pickup tube rather than a false bottom.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bozinator

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2022, 05:44:25 pm »
Always open minded to new ideas. A hop spider might be a good idea