Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Diy heat stick  (Read 959 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
Diy heat stick
« on: July 29, 2022, 08:04:24 pm »
I have a 2 x20  stainless triclamp pipe.  Is there any reason why I can't put a dernord triclamp heating element on the end and use it like the brewhardware heat stick?  It would be submersible right?  Am I crazy?

I'm not trying to kill myself but I could make that for 40 bucks and speed up my mash and boil.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Diy heat stick
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 08:37:57 am »
Heat sticks should only be used in water, not wort. It could save you time getting to strike temperature but wouldn't help getting to a boil.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 01:05:03 pm »
I beg to differ with Richard but you can use heat sticks in wort. One 110 volt is not enough for a boil but 2 is more than enough. I have been using them for years; but I had to make a power regular to control the boil. They have allowed to brew in the air-conditioning in the summer and a warm house in the winter snow storms.

There are websites for their creation. One caution is to clean the heating elements with a dobie pad after use to prevent build-up of sugar. Not a big deal. Also you will need a pvc pipe to glue on in order to handle the stainless steel.

Finally make sure the sticks are in liquid - water or wort - before plugging them in or the elements will burn out.

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 02:29:34 pm »
I beg to differ with Richard but you can use heat sticks in wort. One 110 volt is not enough for a boil but 2 is more than enough. I have been using them for years; but I had to make a power regular to control the boil. They have allowed to brew in the air-conditioning in the summer and a warm house in the winter snow storms.

There are websites for their creation. One caution is to clean the heating elements with a dobie pad after use to prevent build-up of sugar. Not a big deal. Also you will need a pvc pipe to glue on in order to handle the stainless steel.

Finally make sure the sticks are in liquid - water or wort - before plugging them in or the elements will burn out.

So you diy'd the heat stick or jus added a controller to the brewhardware one.  I have a PID that would work for that.  Or I could easily get an analog controller.

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 08:56:00 am »
Sorry for not getting back sooner but I was trying to upload a picture of my set up.

I brew in the basement, in and around the laundry and furnace room. And so, much of my set up has to be portable and be able to be stored.

I made my heatsticks. both of which can be plugged into a wall socket. For the controller, I adapted from an extra tool box I had lying around. I bought the regulator from Auber instruments. In the tool box, I cut notches on the side for the heatsink to slide onto. holes for the display and for the wall socket that the heat stick can plug into. Finally a hoe on the other side of the box for an extension cord to be pulled out and plugged into the wall. The regulator also has a temperature sensor that runs into the pot.

As I am cooling the wort, I unplug the extension and pull it into the box, wrap up the sensor, unplug the one heatstick from the box and clean it. Allow the heatsink to cool and place it into the box. Close the lid and place the tool box over by the bottle. Of course, I had also uplugged earlier the second heat stick and cleaned it also.

Sorry again about not having a picture but I will figure it out eventually.

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 10:22:08 am »
Oh wow.  A pic please!!!!!

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 08:30:53 am »
Here are several
 https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vu5hVorD1E81XjvBA

let me know if you can see them

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 04:57:07 pm »
Ok.  That is a long the lines of what I was thinking.  What is that putty looking sealer on there?

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2022, 10:01:05 am »
Not putty.
The original website that I no longer can find suggested using JD Weld to join all the parts and then cover it with sealant that I longer find. The stuff you see in the picture is something I tried but I am not particularly pleased as it seems to not seal. But the JD Weld is apparently waterproofing the sticks.

Here is a site that apparently does not even use anything to seal:
https://www.instructables.com/Heat-Stick/

Here is a site that uses DAP sealant.

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2022, 10:01:33 am »