Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: those ball valve handle lock things  (Read 944 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
those ball valve handle lock things
« on: January 22, 2022, 08:53:07 pm »
For some reason, I hate those sliding handle locks that are on my ball valves but I never take them off or anything. Is there a reason why I don't take those off?  Are they doing something for me that I've never noticed and I will regret taking them off my valves? 

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: those ball valve handle lock things
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 06:14:10 am »
The slide latch centers the opening of the ball with the opening in the housing.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 06:15:07 am »
Typically, in the home brewing scenario, the locking function of a ball valve is not necessary.  In an industrial scenario, they would be used in a Lockout-Tagout situation providing the locking device has a hole that is aligned with a hole in the handle.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 09:46:33 am »
sweet!  i will be taking those damn things off.  Every time I go for a quick valve action, I end up hitting the lock.  After 20+years, you think I'd have solved this by now. 

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 09:27:29 am »
They DO help prevent you from pouring boiling wort all over your work area and yourself  ;)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 11:43:37 am »
They prevent you from opening the valve if you accidentally push on the handle. I keep them for safety reasons, but they mostly get in the way especially when I realize I left the valve open while filling the tank to which the valve is attached.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 12:38:35 pm »
Perhaps simply tape the slide device in the up position to disengage it?  I wouldn't bother with it, but I see it as protecting me from inadvertent opening of the valve.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 07:48:01 pm »
They DO help prevent you from pouring boiling wort all over your work area and yourself  ;)
They also slow you down closing it when you knock your hose off the barb on the valve...

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 01:47:37 pm »
They also slow you down closing it when you knock your hose off the barb on the valve...
Sounds like you need hardware that has locking ability built into it (like a ball valve does) ;)
...unless you're one of those "safety third" kinda guys