Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Underappreciated Hops for a Smash  (Read 3329 times)

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
Re: Underappreciated Hops for a Smash
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2021, 01:02:02 pm »
Challenger hops.  One of my favorite beers is Vaporizer by Double Mountain brewery.  I do an homage of Pilsner and Challenger.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2021, 04:03:47 pm »
To put a bow on it…

I ended up making this, for a 2.5 gallon (packaged) batch.
7# Deer Creek Sweet Liberty (Vienna)
17 IBU’s Sterling at 60
12 IBU’s Sterling at 10
.75 oz Sterling (IBU’s…who knows?) at 0.
.25 oz Sterling Dry Hop in Keg at packaging.

Tasting notes for the Sterling:

Reading this thread gave me an idea...   I am suddenly obsessed with making a beer using Sterling hops & Archer hops. 

If only I could find some Lana malt.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2021, 08:48:29 am »
Last week I bottled a batch hopped with the azecca I got for renewing my AHA membership. I'm really liking azecca.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2021, 05:05:31 pm »
  I always think SMaSHes lean to academic research, but they can make great beer and definitely are a lot of fun.

Cheers!
I like your choice of Vienna as the single malt.  I did the same once with homegrown Cascades- was a great beer that I called Springtime in Vienna.  Should brew that again sometime...

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2021, 05:08:57 pm »
Last week I bottled a batch hopped with the azecca I got for renewing my AHA membership. I'm really liking azecca.

I brew a NAIPA every year for a fundraiser and that is the only application I like azacca in. It is so over the top fruity

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2021, 06:50:41 am »
Sterling is an interesting hop.  I just do not know what to do with it.  It is not close enough to Czech Saaz for my taste. Atleast Mt. Hood and Liberty are close enough to Mittelfrüh to be subs lager blends.  Sterling is its own thing.

Makes a great IPA, a la Rogue Brutal Bitter

Hmmm, I remember the "original" Brutal Bitter being all Crystal hops, but it's been many years since I had one. Perhaps it evolved into Brutal IPA . . . because there aren't enough IPAs in the world?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 06:52:49 am by davidw »
"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline JRobert.

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2022, 05:59:20 am »
Cashmere is my new fave. Have made sever batches, a couple were smashes, and all were great! Will be growing my own next season.
I love Cashmere. I'm a new fan of Kazbek too. I've replaced Saaz in my recipes with it.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2022, 10:15:09 am »
Cashmere is my new fave. Have made sever batches, a couple were smashes, and all were great! Will be growing my own next season.
I love Cashmere. I'm a new fan of Kazbek too. I've replaced Saaz in my recipes with it.

I have been wanting to try Cashmere for awhile, but I need to lower my current inventory a bit more before buying some.  Do you get lime from it? 

I agree on the Kazbek too.  I haven't brewed with it myself yet, but the beers I've had that were made with it have been great.  That's another one on my wish list. 

There was an experimental South African hop that I was really loving, but I'm all out of it, it was good I kept using it in my hoppy pales:  XJA-436.  I hope they keep growing it.