Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Conical fermenters  (Read 2045 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Conical fermenters
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2022, 08:27:19 am »
Though I rarely even go downstairs to look at the fermenter during fermentation anymore, I would say the weakest link in my all stainless fermenter is lack of a window.

I have often contemplated adding one with a Triclamp bulkhead fitting so it can serve as a dry hop port but I’ve yet to do it.

No worries, mate. We just quickly pop the lid off, for a quick peak and maybe a sample. Never caused any problems.

Agreed. That's the way I deal with it, too.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2022, 08:46:55 am »
I was also concerned about lack of visual inspection when I went to a stainless conical but discovered the benefits of the conical far outweigh the loss of visual inspection.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2022, 09:31:38 am »
Though I rarely even go downstairs to look at the fermenter during fermentation anymore, I would say the weakest link in my all stainless fermenter is lack of a window.

I have often contemplated adding one with a Triclamp bulkhead fitting so it can serve as a dry hop port but I’ve yet to do it.

No worries, mate. We just quickly pop the lid off, for a quick peak and maybe a sample. Never caused any problems.

Agreed. That's the way I deal with it, too.
That’s what I do.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2022, 09:34:02 am »
With devices like the Tilt, fermenting under pressure with a spunding valve, floating dip tube in the fermenter, and precise temperature control, I gave up needing to look at the beer in process several years ago; but then, along came the All Rounder and voila!  I can do it all and watch with a simple fridge door opening for the clearing drop post-fermentation and then rack under CO2 to the purged keg.  Of course, none of those are necessary to make good beer, but it is remarkable to see what the data are telling me on the status of a fermenting beer and confirming it visually.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2022, 02:54:41 pm »
IDK... isn't it best to remove the beer off the yeast?

If fermenting and carbonating in the same vessel, the beer is in contact with the yeast the whole time.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2022, 03:25:19 pm »

If fermenting and carbonating in the same vessel, the beer is in contact with the yeast the whole time.

In my system, the beer finishes in less than 2 weeks time (often 7-8 days) from boil to kegged under CO2 purged transfer.  If not crystal clear, then nearing it and only needing a couple days at 30F.  Again, I rack off the top of the primary fermenter with a floating dip tube, so the first keg (or portion of the only keg, if 5 gallons) is typically pretty clear.

YMMV, of course, so if you have a conical and want to dump trub and then harvest yeast, go for it.  There are many ways to get great beer made.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2022, 04:20:52 pm »

It's not really a big deal unless you leave it for months
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell