Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Open/Double Fermentation  (Read 3349 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Open/Double Fermentation
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 08:22:47 am »
one thing - and truly, not trying to rain on your parade - but what do you think of the health/safety of using an HDPE plastic fermentation vessel?

Fire Rooster

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 08:45:28 am »
one thing - and truly, not trying to rain on your parade - but what do you think of the health/safety of using an HDPE plastic fermentation vessel?

Fermentation buckets, Speidel fermenters & storage tanks,
and one gallon of milk, all use food grade HDPE.
Not sure about non white (colored), non food grade HDPE.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 08:48:43 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2022, 08:47:52 am »

excellent, i just wasn't sure. it has been a while since i read about plastic safety.

also,

in canada milk comes in bags.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2022, 08:52:59 am »

also,

in canada milk comes in bags.

I think it's all about recycling, McDonalds now gives you a paper straw,
and cardboard instead of plastic foam packaging.
My State is phasing out plastic grocery bags.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2022, 09:21:12 am »

No problem.  Why should it be?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2022, 02:20:31 am »
Not all HDPE containers are food safe because some may contain recycled materials. Food safe needs to be virgin HDPE and labeled as such. Having dabbled in the consumer product safety field you learn that there is no such thing as a “safe” plastic, just “safer” plastics. The “HD” means the molecules are more densely packed and leach much less into whatever is being contained, but it still leaches especially as containers age. It’s a personal choice and this is just my opinion, but I try and reduce the use of plastic containers where possible to store food items.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

narvin

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2022, 05:39:17 am »
Not all HDPE containers are food safe because some may contain recycled materials. Food safe needs to be virgin HDPE and labeled as such. Having dabbled in the consumer product safety field you learn that there is no such thing as a “safe” plastic, just “safer” plastics. The “HD” means the molecules are more densely packed and leach much less into whatever is being contained, but it still leaches especially as containers age. It’s a personal choice and this is just my opinion, but I try and reduce the use of plastic containers where possible to store food items.

Totally agree with all of this, but I personally have no qualms using it.  The dose makes the poison and there's a much bigger poison in beer.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2022, 07:49:27 pm »
Here is how the pros do it. No covers.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2022, 12:06:03 am »

thank you for that post, i used a saw and cut off the top 1/8th of my carboys, opening them to the air to make Classic Czech Pilsners like the pros.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: Open Fermentation
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2022, 04:10:23 am »

Had I not known better I'd have thought this was cinnamon breakfast cereal

I was thinking cheese in a can topped with chili powder.

This is clearly a bucket of overcooked noodles.

The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Fire Rooster

narvin

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2022, 01:50:12 pm »

https://www.rowandsons.co.uk/blog/myth-fact-antibacterial-properties-wood/

Of course, one taste of beer soured in barrels tells us that the bacteria that live in beer (which we both love and hate, depending on the style) aren't affected by wood and will grow in it.  But the open fermentation isn't the cause; these bacteria are introduced to sour beers on purpose, and over time come to inhabit the environment of the brewery.  They also aren't pitching a pure culture.  Bacteria hopping a ride on some specs of dust are very unlikely to win out vs a healthy pitch of yeast.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2022, 05:49:08 am »
The above photo was taken in the Pilsner Urquell Brewery. It is their traditional brewing method. And we drank the beer brewed in these barrels. Like my late father said..."That was the best beer I have ever had."

Not filtered, not pasteurized. My dad was right. And it was not sour, had no off flavors at all.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2022, 06:10:06 am »
The above photo was taken in the Pilsner Urquell Brewery. It is their traditional brewing method. And we drank the beer brewed in these barrels. Like my late father said..."That was the best beer I have ever had."

Not filtered, not pasteurized. My dad was right. And it was not sour, had no off flavors at all.

The ~4000L barrels the beer is lagered in are lined with pitch, the beer never touches the wood.

The fermenters don't appear to be lined, don't know for sure.

Bell's has some old Cypress fermenters the got from the Stroh family. Those are lined.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

narvin

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2022, 06:47:06 am »
Generally a barrell will sour over time, especially if let to sit empty.  For non sour beers, they clean and sanitize them.