Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Liquid yeast vs dry yeast  (Read 2569 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Liquid yeast vs dry yeast
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 12:01:55 pm »
I was going to ask about different styles and options for the IPA type of beer.  Like I said, I am torn between buying the individual ingredients and trying my hand at that, or buying a kit from Austin Home Brew and having everything, including the yeast options already picked out.  So, I guess I am going to ask, which yeast (dry or Liquid) would you all use for an IPA in the family of Blind Pig? 

I myself do not brew IPAs very often, and I usually use dry yeast.  IF I were to experiment more with liquid yeasts in an IPA, I would probably select an English yeast at random to see what it does.  The English yeasts -- not always, but generally -- produce more interesting esters than American yeast like 1056 and WLP001.  You can't go wrong with the last two, but... you might get something more interesting and unique from any of the English/British strains.  Or even the Belgians, if you are so inclined.

Cheers.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 12:02:26 pm »
Are you all telling me that if the OP used US-05, an incredibly reliable yeast for fermentation, that he would be able to pick out "peach" through the hops?  I'm quite certain I wouldn't be able to.
Caveats: I have never had Blind Pig and have only rarely used US-05.

I don't know if he would, but I can.
To pick out "peach" and pinpoint it to the yeast in a beer that according to Russian River should be "Full-bodied, very hoppy, with citrus, pine, fruity notes, and a nice dry, bitter finish" is a skill indeed.  I tip my hat to you sir!
When I have had the US05 peach flavor it has drowned out nearly everything else.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2022, 01:22:28 pm »
Stick with dry yeast  ;D

Especially if you like peaches!   ;D
All dry yeast tastes like peaches? News to me!
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2022, 01:24:09 pm »
Are you all telling me that if the OP used US-05, an incredibly reliable yeast for fermentation, that he would be able to pick out "peach" through the hops?  I'm quite certain I wouldn't be able to.

To pick out "peach" and pinpoint it to the yeast in a beer that according to Russian River should be "Full-bodied, very hoppy, with citrus, pine, fruity notes, and a nice dry, bitter finish" is a skill indeed.  I tip my hat to you sir!
Yes very impressive!

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2022, 01:25:52 pm »

When I have had the US05 peach flavor it has drowned out nearly everything else.

I honestly find this all rather amazing.  Amazing that one can pick out the peach from the yeast in a citrus, pine, fruity IPA.  Amazing that US-05 throws that much flavor.  Amazing that the yeast remains so popular in the home brewing community.  Why?

So is the peach a good peach or a bad peach?  I ask because "peach" might be a nice addition to an IPA.  Now I'm tempted to use it again.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2022, 01:36:57 pm »
and the endless debate about who can taste what rages on...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 01:43:34 pm by Iliff Ave »

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2022, 02:03:02 pm »
I have used US-05 a couple of times in kits that I have bought and must admit that I can never taste anything peachy about it, but I am still new.  I am going to look at the yeast choices again when I order the kit.  But, since I am brewing a 5 gallon batch I am understanding from the info here that a starter is needed if I use a liquid yeast?   

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2022, 02:05:50 pm »

I honestly find this all rather amazing.  Amazing that one can pick out the peach from the yeast in a citrus, pine, fruity IPA.  Amazing that US-05 throws that much flavor.  Amazing that the yeast remains so popular in the home brewing community.  Why?

So is the peach a good peach or a bad peach?  I ask because "peach" might be a nice addition to an IPA.  Now I'm tempted to use it again.

Good or bad are value judgements.  It depends on what you want.  Most of what I brewed with 05 were heavily hopped IPAs.  It did not cover the peach.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2022, 02:07:10 pm »
I have used US-05 a couple of times in kits that I have bought and must admit that I can never taste anything peachy about it, but I am still new.  I am going to look at the yeast choices again when I order the kit.  But, since I am brewing a 5 gallon batch I am understanding from the info here that a starter is needed if I use a liquid yeast?   

With Wyeast (and probably White) my experience is that you need a starter for any 5 gal. batch over 1.050.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2022, 02:40:45 pm »

With Wyeast (and probably White) my experience is that you need a starter for any 5 gal. batch over 1.050.

Cool.  Thanks, I will start educating myself on how to do that. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2022, 04:42:38 pm »

Dead easy.  Make a qt. of 1.035ish wort. After cooling, put it in a gal. container.  I use an old apple juice jug.  Shake the crap out of it til it's full of foam (don't use anti foam). Pitch your yeast. 24 hours later pitch the whole thing at high krausen, or as close as you can get.  Don't sweat it.

www.dennybrew.com

narvin

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2022, 05:39:06 pm »
There are other dry yeast strains that don’t have a peach taste. Dry ≠ US05

Of course, but I was going for an answer as flip and shallow as "stick with dry yeast"

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2022, 06:24:38 pm »
Some of us are more sensitive to different flavors and aromas. It appears that this is what's happening with US-05.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2022, 06:37:10 pm »
There are other dry yeast strains that don’t have a peach taste. Dry ≠ US05

Of course, but I was going for an answer as flip and shallow as "stick with dry yeast"
Right back at ya buddy!

Fire Rooster

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2022, 03:42:12 am »

Dead easy.  Make a qt. of 1.035ish wort. After cooling, put it in a gal. container.  I use an old apple juice jug.  Shake the crap out of it til it's full of foam (don't use anti foam). Pitch your yeast. 24 hours later pitch the whole thing at high krausen, or as close as you can get.  Don't sweat it.

I never made starter either, took the lazy way out, as I review my future with liquid yeast.
https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/fast-pitch-yeast-starter-kit-1000-ml

As far as peach goes, never detected it in any brew made.
Maybe my senses are dead to it, but not to the dreaded grapefruit.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 03:44:22 am by Fire Rooster »