Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Diamond lager and tartness  (Read 751 times)

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
Diamond lager and tartness
« on: January 20, 2022, 03:02:45 pm »
I’m a huge fan of Diamond lager yeast. So much so I have been using it exclusively for a couple years now. Brewing mostly German Pilsner, helles, festbier, and a tasty batch of American ish bock with 20% corn grits(my first cereal mash!)

The beers have all been great and I’m loving brewing more than ever since finding a reliable easy to use dry lager yeast.

However, when I compare my beers to commercial examples of the same styles there is a definite tartness. I’m not sure I dislike it but I want to know why it’s there?

I adjust my mash ph to 5.4 with acid malt.
I adjust my post boil ph to 5.2 with lactic acid for pale beers. The bock I did not adjust and post boil on that was 5.37 on its own.

I have repitched Diamond and still had the tartness.

I’ve wondered if it’s my water profile? I use RO water with (.5) grams per gallon of calc2 and caso4 each. I think that gives me about 70 ppm of sulfate. The beers are indeed nice and crisp maybe too much sulfate for the malty styles but excellent in the pils. I’m going to experiment with less sulfate for the malty beers.

I have measured the final beer ph degassed of the pils to be 4.2.

I don’t notice the tartness when I have used bry97 which I also love.

I don’t notice it in my hefe which I use 3068 on. Tried Munich classic and found it to be too phenolic. The liquid 3068 tastes so much better in the hefe to me.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: Diamond lager and tartness
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 03:29:25 pm »
I've used this yeast alot and never gotten any tartness.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 04:05:34 pm »
I recently used Diamond for four lagers. All turned out unpleasantly tart. This is the only dry strain I have ever gotten unusual tartness from.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 04:36:53 pm »
I have never gotten tartness in the years I've used it.  I think water might be a good place to start looking.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 04:55:35 pm »
Water is straight RO with only cacl2 and caso4 added.

About to keg a helles with only .25 gram per gallon of each salt. Should cut the sulfates to around 30.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 05:18:23 pm »
Water is definitely a logical place to start, but in my case it's not that. I think it's a palate issue, not a chemistry issue, i.e. I think my palate is just hyper-sensitive to one of the acids produced by the yeast.