Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lallemand Diamond Lager versus Fermentis W-34/70  (Read 37005 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Lallemand Diamond Lager versus Fermentis W-34/70
« Reply #285 on: January 19, 2022, 09:16:44 pm »
i am very unhappy with the first batch i made with diamond. i might actually end up dumping these remaining bottles.

i followed a "fast" process, where it started in the low 50s for a few days, then i raised it to mid 60s for about a week until finished. then cooled it down again and bottled it after a short time for lagers, i think between 3 to 4 weeks.

on bottling day it tasted good, since then its gotten worse and worse, starting with overwhelming matchstick sulfur and now just crappy acetaldehyde, off-flavours.

this was not my normal process with lagers, which has previously been the standard low temp for a long time. but yeah, not happy at all.

i have another batch going with the repitch of it, and im doing the low and slow method to see if it helps.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #286 on: January 20, 2022, 09:51:44 am »
i am very unhappy with the first batch i made with diamond. i might actually end up dumping these remaining bottles.

i followed a "fast" process, where it started in the low 50s for a few days, then i raised it to mid 60s for about a week until finished. then cooled it down again and bottled it after a short time for lagers, i think between 3 to 4 weeks.

on bottling day it tasted good, since then its gotten worse and worse, starting with overwhelming matchstick sulfur and now just crappy acetaldehyde, off-flavours.

this was not my normal process with lagers, which has previously been the standard low temp for a long time. but yeah, not happy at all.

i have another batch going with the repitch of it, and im doing the low and slow method to see if it helps.
I had sulfur flavors in my last batch made with Diamond. That faded after a few weeks. I kegged the beer and was able to pull the pressure relief tab. With bottles you can’t do that, but I don’t know if that is necessary or not.

I can’t add anything about the acetaldehyde flavors.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #287 on: January 20, 2022, 10:43:43 am »
I would think the acetaldehyde might come from moving off the primary ferment temp a bit early, but raising it doesn't usually have that effect...so I am stumped - it could just be a byproduct that you have particular sensitivity toward?  I have been lucky with no such off flavor or sulphur issues from Diamond.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #288 on: January 20, 2022, 11:36:07 am »
Or possibly, because so many of us don't have the problem, it's related to something other than the yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #289 on: January 20, 2022, 12:30:18 pm »
Or possibly, because so many of us don't have the problem, it's related to something other than the yeast.

80%2row, 20% munich with chinook and simcoe hops. it is a beautiful looking beer and tastes generally clean/ok, but i am still picking up the same disagreeable dull rubber taste that i found in the previous diamond beer (which had even more issues).

admittedly my sense of smell is not great right now after dealing with covid, but i am done with this yeast, and would def go with s-189 again or a liquid lager yeast. i don't like this one.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 08:46:49 pm by fredthecat »