Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Liquid yeast vs dry yeast  (Read 2547 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Re: Liquid yeast vs dry yeast
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 08:47:30 am »
I have used US-05 a couple of times in kits that I have bought and must admit that I can never taste anything peachy about it, but I am still new.  I am going to look at the yeast choices again when I order the kit.  But, since I am brewing a 5 gallon batch I am understanding from the info here that a starter is needed if I use a liquid yeast?   

With Wyeast (and probably White) my experience is that you need a starter for any 5 gal. batch over 1.050.

Cool.  Thanks, I will start educating myself on how to do that.

Dead easy.  Make a qt. of 1.035ish wort. After cooling, put it in a gal. container.  I use an old apple juice jug.  Shake the crap out of it til it's full of foam (don't use anti foam). Pitch your yeast. 24 hours later pitch the whole thing at high krausen, or as close as you can get.  Don't sweat it.

I never made starter either, took the lazy way out, as I review my future with liquid yeast.
https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/fast-pitch-yeast-starter-kit-1000-ml

As far as peach goes, never detected it in any brew made.
Maybe my senses are dead to it, but not to the dreaded grapefruit.

I saw that and was wondering about it, but have asked way too many stupid questions already.  LOL. I might give it a try.  But I am curious if adding more liquid to the wort, and different wort itself, will mess up what you got working already?  But, for now, I am into trying to make it easier on myself until I can get my feet wet with the liquid stuff, so this might be a good way to do it.  Thanks for the link.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 11:19:47 am »
I have used US-05 a couple of times in kits that I have bought and must admit that I can never taste anything peachy about it, but I am still new.  I am going to look at the yeast choices again when I order the kit.  But, since I am brewing a 5 gallon batch I am understanding from the info here that a starter is needed if I use a liquid yeast?   

With Wyeast (and probably White) my experience is that you need a starter for any 5 gal. batch over 1.050.

Cool.  Thanks, I will start educating myself on how to do that.

Dead easy.  Make a qt. of 1.035ish wort. After cooling, put it in a gal. container.  I use an old apple juice jug.  Shake the crap out of it til it's full of foam (don't use anti foam). Pitch your yeast. 24 hours later pitch the whole thing at high krausen, or as close as you can get.  Don't sweat it.

I never made starter either, took the lazy way out, as I review my future with liquid yeast.
https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/fast-pitch-yeast-starter-kit-1000-ml

As far as peach goes, never detected it in any brew made.
Maybe my senses are dead to it, but not to the dreaded grapefruit.

I saw that and was wondering about it, but have asked way too many stupid questions already.  LOL. I might give it a try.  But I am curious if adding more liquid to the wort, and different wort itself, will mess up what you got working already?  But, for now, I am into trying to make it easier on myself until I can get my feet wet with the liquid stuff, so this might be a good way to do it.  Thanks for the link.

My exact thoughts, I too have more questions than answers.
This kit will get me in the ballpark at least, and work from there.
The 1000ml  kit is good for up to 5 gallons, there's another 2000 ml kit for larger ones.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 11:35:01 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2022, 12:06:18 pm »

+1
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2022, 02:53:30 pm »
Dry yeasts for me, almost exclusively, for the last 8 or 9 years. Most often I use Mangrove Jack's M36, M42 and M44 for APAs and IPAs and M15 for ESBs. On occasion BRY-97, W-34/70 and Notty find their way into the mix on the rare occasion that I buy supplies somewhere other than William's Brewing.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV