Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Parosmia  (Read 960 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Parosmia
« on: January 19, 2022, 07:01:01 am »
Not sure if Parosmia is the exact diagnosis, but as of late I've been super sensitive to higher alcohols and metallic aromas. No loss of taste or smell that I can tell, but I can smell metallic from a mile away. Drinking most beer I don't notice a difference, but drinking Bourbon, Rye, or Whiskey and I can really pick out higher alcohol and the taste seems slightly distorted. The more alcohol, the more the flavor seems distorted.

I read where Parosmia can happen following Covid, but AFAIK I have not had it. Shot, boosted, social distanced, etc. so the chance would be rather low.

Thinking of using Flonase for a week or so to see if it self corrects. Anyone got any other suggestions or insights? It's not a huge issue, but makes drinking a Bourbon much less enjoyable than before.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Parosmia
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 06:20:37 am »
I know nothing about this particular problem but I know that some sensitivities arise out of overexposure. Based on your posts on this thread you are sampling spirits most evenings and purposefully taking good sniffs to assesss. I would try a week off from whiskey and see if you recover.
Also, is your house very dry this time of year? Being inside a house or office with heat and low humidity can really mess with the sinuses.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 08:02:39 am »
Don't rule out advancing age as a cause.  It's something I've had to deal with, and the reason I quit judging.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Parosmia
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 12:07:22 pm »

I read where Parosmia can happen following Covid, but AFAIK I have not had it. Shot, boosted, social distanced, etc. so the chance would be rather low.

The only way you know if you had asymptomatic Covid is to be tested. Given the recent past events, it’s a real possibility you could have had it an not event known.

Sniffles and some congestion could have been your only symptoms. …besides weird tastes/smells.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 12:28:37 pm »
I'm with Denny here. When you begin to question yourself, it's time to quit doing things that require sound judgement. Sage as we are, we may not be so in reality :)
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 03:54:25 pm »
Don't rule out advancing age as a cause.  It's something I've had to deal with, and the reason I quit judging.

I almost suggested something like this. I don't care for the taste of whiskey the way I used to. It doesn't;t have the same rich vanilla, cinnamon, fruity, leather, etc. character. It's still there, but the ethanol flavors seem to overwhelm it. I still enjoy it from time to time, but it's not as enjoyable, flavor wise, as it used to be. The hangovers are way worse too. ;)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 08:49:13 pm »
It's really fusel alcohols and for some reason metallic aromas. I pick up metallic from the gas heat and fusel from whiskey above 110 proof as of late. As far as cutting back, I decided in January to not eat and drink after 8pm during the week and have only consumed alcohol 5 days this year.

I'm now suspecting I may have had Covid without any notable symptoms.

FWIW - Tonight I decided to have some Bourbon at 105 proof and a 100 proof rye and didn't perceive any fusel alcohols, but I chose two which would have restrained alcohols. Was toasting an old homebrewer/judge friend who passed away on Tuesday.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 06:47:38 am »
And Flonase appears to have worked it's magic. The sensitivity to metallic and alcohol seems to have subsided over the last few days.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 11:26:06 am »
Nasal steroids are truly a modern medicine marvel. I'd be miserable this time of the year without it. Thankfully only need occasional use