Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Too much yeast?  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Tmbowden14

• 1st Kit
Too much yeast?
« on: January 22, 2022, 07:37:44 am »
Starting my first non kit brew and looking for advice. I have found a recipe for a BIAB and confident in everything but the yeast.

I am only doing 1 gallon batches, do I need to worry about pitching too much yeast? For my upcoming brew I am using WLP002 English Ale PurePitch that shows it is good for up to 5 gallons. Should I scale down? If not can I save the remaining yeast for my next batches? If I can save it, what is the best way to preserve? TIA!

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Too much yeast?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 08:17:27 am »
On paper, yes you should scale down. If you do, just eyeball maybe half, then put the rest in a sanitized container. But you'd probably be fine just pitching the whole thing. What's the estimated OG?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 08:48:28 am »
No problem using the whole thing.  On yiur first brew you'll have enough stuff to deal with withiut worrying about that.  Someday you may want to experiment with pitching less, but for now it's not gonna be a game changer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 09:05:34 am »
Great question, I myself have wondered about that.  I saw a Youtube video where a guy was basically summarizing a presentation from one of the yeast manufacturers and showed a slide where the amount of yeast for a 5 gallon batch was way above what the package, both liquid and dry, stated they had.  So I was wondering if these kits were shorting on the yeast for some reason.  I am going to be watching the replies on this one.  RR

Offline Tmbowden14

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 10:06:40 am »
On paper, yes you should scale down. If you do, just eyeball maybe half, then put the rest in a sanitized container. But you'd probably be fine just pitching the whole thing. What's the estimated OG?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions. OG is estimated at 1.052 based on the recipe builder I am using.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 10:11:49 am »
Great question, I myself have wondered about that.  I saw a Youtube video where a guy was basically summarizing a presentation from one of the yeast manufacturers and showed a slide where the amount of yeast for a 5 gallon batch was way above what the package, both liquid and dry, stated they had.  So I was wondering if these kits were shorting on the yeast for some reason.  I am going to be watching the replies on this one.  RR

Maybe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 06:54:39 am »
You're *probably* going to be fine, but I've had an issue with diacetyl once before with 002, and I suspect it might be from overpitching. 002 is highly flocculant and will drop out fast when fermentation is done. On an overpitch that may be before it cleans up all the diacetyl it creates.

Of course this is pure speculation on my part. Still, I'd probably only pitch a third to a half of the pouch if it were my beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer