Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial Stout - BJCP  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Imperial Stout - BJCP
« on: January 23, 2022, 11:58:17 am »
So we brewed an English Imperial Stout last March. The intent was to enter it in this year's Bluebonnet.
Stats:
OG = 1.093
FG = 1.016
ABV = 9.5%

It is a very good beer, according to my friend. But it will not do well in competition. Why? Dave said the other entries will be like 10W40 motor oil, thick, black and heavy.

Mine is much more subtle.
But the BJCP guidelines are so wide ranging, that it looks to be more subjective in the judging.

A full report of the results will be posted in March. The entries will be delivered next Saturday, the 29th.

So is Dave correct? Should mine have been the "10W40" weight motor oil variety?

edit: My entry is super smooth, easy drinking. With a very slight alcohol presence. The aging has mellowed it out significantly.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 12:02:25 pm by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Imperial Stout - BJCP
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 12:19:34 pm »
Not at all.  I've judged many comps where subtlety was rewarded.  Go for it.  You'll never know til you try.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 01:05:07 pm »
I brewed a Russian Imperial Stout with a recipe similar to the one you brewed, and I entered it into a competition. FG was 1.020, and most of the comments were that it was too thin and didn't have the right mouthfeel. I was told it was out of style and would be better listed as an Imperial Porter. Based on what I remember of your recipe, it will do even worse. Perhaps enter it as a porter.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 01:52:03 pm »
I don’t expect that ‘high’ body requires motor oil-like viscosity. The guidelines do ALLOW very high or chewy mouthfeel, but it’s not a requirement.

If your beer is judged by a poor judge, they might impose that improper body requirement and unfortunately there’s nothing you can do about it. But it does sound like your beer could actually be within style.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 03:05:00 pm »
A good beer is a good beer. If the body knocks it down more than the a point or two in mouth feel, maybe there are other issues but I've seen some really trivial arguments at competitions so what do I know?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 03:41:26 pm »
I think it’s good. But not “in your face” like a North Coast RIS. Although it is a clone recipe, that was found online.
Here it is, for 5 gallons:

Pale Malt 20 lbs
Munich 4 lbs
Caramel 40 1 lb
Caramel 120 1 lb
Brown Malt 1/2 lb
Chocolate Malt 1/2 lb
Roasted Barley 1/4 lb
Special B 1/4 lb

90 min boil

2 oz Willamette  FWH
2 oz Willamette 30 min
2 oz Willamette 5 min
6% AA

IBU 55

Wyeast London Ale - 5th Gen

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 07:20:18 pm »
I think it’s good. But not “in your face” like a North Coast RIS. Although it is a clone recipe, that was found online.

Pale Malt 20 lbs
Munich 4 lbs
Caramel 40 1 lb
Caramel 120 1 lb
Brown Malt 1/2 lb
Chocolate Malt 1/2 lb
Roasted Barley 1/4 lb
Special B 1/4 lb

90 min boil

2 oz Willamette  FWH
2 oz Willamette 30 min
2 oz Willamette 5 min
6% AA

IBU 55

Was that really for 5 gallons, or was it for 10 gallons?
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 07:52:07 pm »

Pale Malt 20 lbs
Munich 4 lbs
Caramel 40 1 lb
Caramel 120 1 lb
Brown Malt 1/2 lb
Chocolate Malt 1/2 lb
Roasted Barley 1/4 lb
Special B 1/4 lb

90 min boil

2 oz Willamette  FWH
2 oz Willamette 30 min
2 oz Willamette 5 min
6% AA

IBU 55

Was that really for 5 gallons, or was it for 10 gallons?

5 gallons.

Upon further review, this beer does check all of the boxes for the allowed style guidelines. But we fully expect it will not do well in competition.
A full review will be posted, along with the other beers being entered.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 07:24:08 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 07:52:39 pm »
These days imperial stouts that people hype are thick, supersweet and higher abv. You're more likely winning with a 12% stout with a 1.040 fg and an enormous amount of oats.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 05:12:17 am »
These days imperial stouts that people hype are thick, supersweet and higher abv. You're more likely winning with a 12% stout with a 1.040 fg and an enormous amount of oats.

If that is what the judges are looking for, then for sure. While mine hits all of the marks, it is not over-the-top in impact. This is an English version. Not Russian or American. That is more subtle. It was brewed for drinkability. Yes, it was brewed for competition, but also the intent was to have a beer we could drink and enjoy.

I have had a few commercial examples that were borderline non-drinkable. Except for those who like 10W40 bitter molasses. But I digress.....

We are all curious what the score sheets will reflect.

edit: We do have a Barleywine (10.5% ABV) that is expected to do well. 30 bottles total to be entered, this Saturday.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 05:16:53 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 05:14:57 am »
Every competition is a crapshoot. This is why I always recommend entering at least three competitions, not just one. That way you can throw out the score sheets where the judges were idiots.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 05:18:53 am »
Every competition is a crapshoot. This is why I always recommend entering at least three competitions, not just one. That way you can throw out the score sheets where the judges were idiots.

Good advice! Might do that in the future. Then again, told the Mrs. this is my last rodeo. So who knows?

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 08:00:50 am »
I brewed a Russian Imperial Stout with a recipe similar to the one you brewed, and I entered it into a competition. FG was 1.020, and most of the comments were that it was too thin and didn't have the right mouthfeel. I was told it was out of style and would be better listed as an Imperial Porter. Based on what I remember of your recipe, it will do even worse. Perhaps enter it as a porter.
Or enter both categories.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 08:07:52 am »
Or enter both categories.

All medal categories have been filled for some time. Nearly 1,300 brewers have entered. So at a minimum, that's 3,900 bottles of beer. Maybe as many as 5,000+.
We are entering 30 bottles.

Edit: Not sure I’ve had a 10% ABV porter. Ok…maybe a Baltic Porter. But that’s lager.

Traditionally an English style, but it is currently much more popular and widely available in America where it is a craft beer favorite, not a curiosity. Variations exist, with English and American interpretations (predictably, the American versions have more bitterness, roasted character, and finishing hops, while the English varieties reflect a more complex specialty malt character and a more forward ester profile). Not all Imperial Stouts have a clearly 'English' or 'American' character; anything in between the two variants are allowable as well, which is why it is counter-productive to designate a sub-type when entering a competition. The wide range of allowable characteristics allow for maximum brewer creativity. Judges must be aware of the broad range of the style, and not try to judge all examples as clones of a specific commercial beer.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 08:38:48 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 08:44:38 am »
I'll bet a 5w-30 stout could win.
Far better to dare mighty things....