Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why does the mash and boil get no love  (Read 1071 times)

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
Why does the mash and boil get no love
« on: January 24, 2022, 08:47:05 am »
Why is it that anvil foundry, and the grain father get top billing with all podcast and YouTube channels. While the brewers edge really get no love.  They are up there is sales, and from my understanding a strong number 2 just under the foundry. It’s successful without all the support from YouTube or any podcast.  I am not really complaining as making an observation just something I was thinking about last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Why does the mash and boil get no love
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 09:37:15 am »
Maybe because the users aren't saying anything about it?  Maybe because it doesn't measure up to the other 2? I'm saying that's  a possibility, not a fact.  Although I can tell you that I was given one and I gave it away because it just didn't work well for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 09:49:47 am »
Name recognition, just like Budweiser beer. Also, the need many feel for all the latest bells and whistles.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 10:01:55 am »
I would defer to those who have the make and model, but I do use fewer bells and whistles (I own an Anvil Foundry and a larger batch Electric Stout Kettle, InfuSSion Mash Tun and HERMS coil HLT set up.)  One thing I like about the Foundry is the ability to select 110V or 220V operation with the same unit and to set the % of heating for maintaining temperature once a full boil is achieved.  The Mash & Boil allows selecting different heating watts, so it is similar in that regard.

Here is a dated, but favorable review:  https://www.homebrewfinds.com/2017/09/hands-on-review-brewers-edge-mash-boil-electric-brewery.html

The new Grainfather setups are pretty slick, though, so I can see the appeal there.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 10:04:51 am »
They place the others in a more videos. Most of those guys will tell you they were given the equipment to demonstrate. If one mfr does it more than the other then the perception is one is more popular that the other. After that, it’s like a flywheel effect: more sales = more promotions, more promotions = perceived popularity = more sales, and the cycle continues.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 10:24:08 am »
I feel the same way about the BrewZilla. I'm guessing earlier versions had problems? I've seen negative posts about it a few places. I love mine. does everything I want it to do.

narvin

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 10:27:29 am »
The Mash and Boil series 2 looks almost identical to the foundry now, but I bought a foundry when it came out because the original Mash and Boil didn't have the features I wanted.  So maybe other systems just saw wider adoption first.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 12:31:06 pm »
  • I think Anvil gets some boost from the Blichmann brand and John Palmer.
  • I think Anvil has done a lot more marketing.
  • The Foundry is 3 gallons larger.
  • The Foundry allows for both 110/220 V usage.

The Foundry just seems like a more capable tool. It looks like it's about $75 more expensive than the Mash & Boil right now, but being able to go to 220V can easily save 20-30 minutes on a brew day. That's pretty huge, just look at the Zymurgy articles and Homebrewcon seminars over the years. There's always one or two about how to save time on your brew day.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 08:38:49 am »
I have a M&B that I use as an electric HLT for my grainfather G30. I think the primary thing I didn't like about the M&B was some build quality issues that I noticed. Can't beat the price and I'd be curious about the newer version to see if those issues have been resolved.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 01:07:10 pm »
Bottom line for me is marketing spend, both in trade (homebrew magazines) and social (Podcast, Forum, YouTube) platforms, especially hardware reviews and comparisons.

Blickmanm/Anvil, SS Brewtech, Spike, and Grainfather have really spent globally on the marketing front.

There should, IMO, be little correlation of marketing spend to actual quality, etc. And many of these all-in-one systems are late to the game GF clones, although some apparent differentiation with features and software.

Market has to be fairly saturated by now.

Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 01:37:07 am »
I would defer to those who have the make and model, but I do use fewer bells and whistles (I own an Anvil Foundry and a larger batch Electric Stout Kettle, InfuSSion Mash Tun and HERMS coil HLT set up.)  One thing I like about the Foundry is the ability to select 110V or 220V operation with the same unit and to set the % of heating for maintaining temperature once a full boil is achieved.  The Mash & Boil allows selecting different heating watts, so it is similar in that regard.

Here is a dated, but favorable review:  https://www.homebrewfinds.com/2017/09/hands-on-review-brewers-edge-mash-boil-electric-brewery.html

The new Grainfather setups are pretty slick, though, so I can see the appeal there.
That was a good read. Thanks for posting that