Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: LalBrew Farmhouse  (Read 7166 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
LalBrew Farmhouse
« on: January 24, 2022, 08:57:02 am »
Anyone yet?  I can't really find much practical user information on this "hybrid" Saison yeast.  Maybe because it's not widely available??  I've read Lallemand's web page and it sounds interesting, but don't they all? 

If anyone has any firsthand knowledge, good or bad, I'd be grateful.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: LalBrew Farmhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 11:09:13 am »
Anyone yet?  I can't really find much practical user information on this "hybrid" Saison yeast.  Maybe because it's not widely available??  I've read Lallemand's web page and it sounds interesting, but don't they all? 

Following.

I'm hoping to try this one out soon, too.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 04:16:22 am by Drewch »
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 03:45:57 pm »
I found some early data beginning to roll in at the following link.  Looks like we can expect average attenuation of about 82-83%.  Not the 90-something of some other saison strains, but still relatively high enough.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/new-lalbrew-farmhouse-yeast.693397/#post-9224224
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 06:38:50 pm »
Sounds like gist of it is: run it hot (25-30) and use some simple sugar adjunct if you want it to finish as low as a "normal" saison.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 09:47:37 am »
the only reason to use this yeast is if you're worried about diastatic cross contamination-a legitimate worry on the commercial side, but Im not sure how concerned us homerewers need to be

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 10:01:30 am »
the only reason to use this yeast is if you're worried about diastatic cross contamination-a legitimate worry on the commercial side, but Im not sure how concerned us homerewers need to be

Have you used it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 10:58:21 am »
I don't necessarily need my saisons of, say, OG 1.055 to turn out being 7% ABV.  Maybe I prefer one of a reasonably higher FG and lower ABV.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 12:30:39 pm »
I feel that those who bottle condition should be concerned about diastaticus - possible bottle bombs.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 01:29:57 pm »
For me, it's mainly about the taste and how fermentation temperature might influence the finished beer.

Just looking at Lallemand's site, Farmhouse is nearly the same as Belle Saison on the "Flavor Wheel", with the big exception being that Farmhouse apparently is capable of some Tropical Fruit flavors.  Interesting.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 05:21:43 pm »

Have you used it?
dont see a reason to. There are already wonderful saison yeasts on the market, and I prefer my saisons highly attenuated

narvin

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 05:41:06 pm »
I feel that those who bottle condition should be concerned about diastaticus - possible bottle bombs.

When I bottle Belgian beers, I use Belgian bottles because I aim for high carbonation, but I've never seen any surprising over-carbonation with the Dupont yeast specifically.  Not all diasaticus strains are equal, and there are other genes that regulate the STA1 behavior.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 06:19:42 pm »

When I bottle Belgian beers, I use Belgian bottles because I aim for high carbonation, but I've never seen any surprising over-carbonation with the Dupont yeast specifically.  Not all diasaticus strains are equal, and there are other genes that regulate the STA1 behavior.
Right, if you're at FG before bottling then you have nothing to worry about. Yeast can only create as much carbonation as the fermentable extract will allow. You just need to make sure that fermentation is finished before bottling.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 08:59:35 am »

Have you used it?
dont see a reason to. There are already wonderful saison yeasts on the market, and I prefer my saisons highly attenuated

If you haven't used it, how do you know there's no reason to use it?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 11:03:07 am »

Right, if you're at FG before bottling then you have nothing to worry about. Yeast can only create as much carbonation as the fermentable extract will allow. You just need to make sure that fermentation is finished before bottling.
I can't say from experience because I avoid diastaticus strains, but I've read about it. Apparently, cross contamination of a non-diastaticus yeast with just a little diastaticus yeast left from a previous batch can cause a problem. Continued enzyme action and fermentation can be very slow and not be noticed when taking gravity samples three days apart. I read everything I can find about it - maybe it will turn out to be a myth?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 11:04:45 am »
I don't know if it's a myth, but I haven't heard of any homebrewers having a problem because of it.

www.dennybrew.com