Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A question regarding fermentation and blow off  (Read 782 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
A question regarding fermentation and blow off
« on: September 14, 2023, 09:33:19 am »
Not sure I am using the right terms here, so correct me if I am wrong.  I brewed a batch the other day, a pale ale with Pilsner and Maris Otter as the main grains.  Having never used Pils I was kinda excited to try it.  All went well and the wort went into the fermenter.  I had about 5 gallons in, used a sachet of Bry97 as my yeast (I had it on hand so I went with it).  It took about 12 hours to get moving, but I expected that.  My bucket went on a maiden voyage in my new fermenting fridge.  Set it to about 65 degrees and used my inkbird to regulate.  After a day or two, checking every day to see how fermenting is going, I notice a small puddle of what appears to be Krausen near the door.  I open the fridge to find that my airlock had clogged and I have had a blowout.  Cleaned everything up and put the airlock back on.  Next day, boom another blowout.  My question is, as I have never had one of these while fermenting in my closet, would having a temp controlled environment cause the fermentation to be so good that this would happen?  Like I said, never had this happen once, let alone twice.  Any input is welcomed. 

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: A question regarding fermentation and blow off
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 09:47:56 am »
Not sure I am using the right terms here, so correct me if I am wrong.  I brewed a batch the other day, a pale ale with Pilsner and Maris Otter as the main grains.  Having never used Pils I was kinda excited to try it.  All went well and the wort went into the fermenter.  I had about 5 gallons in, used a sachet of Bry97 as my yeast (I had it on hand so I went with it).  It took about 12 hours to get moving, but I expected that.  My bucket went on a maiden voyage in my new fermenting fridge.  Set it to about 65 degrees and used my inkbird to regulate.  After a day or two, checking every day to see how fermenting is going, I notice a small puddle of what appears to be Krausen near the door.  I open the fridge to find that my airlock had clogged and I have had a blowout.  Cleaned everything up and put the airlock back on.  Next day, boom another blowout.  My question is, as I have never had one of these while fermenting in my closet, would having a temp controlled environment cause the fermentation to be so good that this would happen?  Like I said, never had this happen once, let alone twice.  Any input is welcomed.
The temp control won’t cause that. Your new bucket may have less headroom and if so a vigorous fermentation can lead to clogged airlock and blowout.

Being cooler will slow down fermentation, but you have to keep the yeast’s needs in mind. You don’t want to be too cold or to warm.

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 10:24:08 am »
BRY-97 makes a lot of krausen. I agree head space would be your issue.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 10:51:40 am »
FWIW, using pils and MO together seems kinda counterproductive. But you can decide for yourself.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2023, 12:03:47 pm »
I would have expected less kraeusen when using good temp control. Probably the BRY-97 yeast. But if you've used it before, it might be just coincidence - several factors contributing. I use a 7.9 gallon bucket to ferment 5 gallons and haven't had a blowout since starting that.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 02:07:38 pm »
Next time you ferment, run a length of tubing from your blowoff into a container of sanitizer that is only 1/2 filled. I think a quart or 1/2 gallon mason jar should work. If you have room, put the mason jar of sanitizer into another vessel just in case you have a vigorous fermentation. If there is a mess, no clean up needed until fermentation is complete.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2023, 07:23:13 pm »
I have had blowoff in the past but anticipate the krauzen with enough headspace so I don’t have issues.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2023, 09:35:20 am »
The temp control won’t cause that. Your new bucket may have less headroom and if so a vigorous fermentation can lead to clogged airlock and blowout.

Being cooler will slow down fermentation, but you have to keep the yeast’s needs in mind. You don’t want to be too cold or to warm.

Equipment wise, I have been using the same stuff since I started.  Only new thing in the mix is the mini fridge I have turned into a fermenting chamber.
 I picked a temp that was right in the middle of the yeast temp range.  So not sure any of that is the issue. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 10:09:02 am by redrocker652002 »

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 09:45:19 am »
FWIW, using pils and MO together seems kinda counterproductive. But you can decide for yourself.

Saw a recipe that mirrored a Russian River beer that I have never tried, so I went with it. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2023, 10:07:11 am »
Next time you ferment, run a length of tubing from your blowoff into a container of sanitizer that is only 1/2 filled. I think a quart or 1/2 gallon mason jar should work. If you have room, put the mason jar of sanitizer into another vessel just in case you have a vigorous fermentation. If there is a mess, no clean up needed until fermentation is complete.

I was actually thinking of doing just that.  I like having the airlock, but if I am going to start seeing what I saw this time, might be a good idea. 

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2023, 01:27:14 pm »

I was actually thinking of doing just that.  I like having the airlock, but if I am going to start seeing what I saw this time, might be a good idea.

Stories of airlocks clogging and glass carboys exploding.

Always provide enough head space or a blow off tube.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2023, 09:43:44 am »
A - choose a fermenter with plenty of head space. B - always use a blow-off tube.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2023, 10:19:58 am »
Use a blowoff tube for the first half of ferment. I still have stains on my shop ceiling (before the ferment chamber). Now I have a temp controlled chamber, use a blowoff in the beginning and a spunding valve for the last half so I can build a little pressure in anticipation of cold crash.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline House Of Ales

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2023, 08:48:07 pm »
I use a blowoff for the first 3-4 days then switch to an airlock. Not a lot of headspace in my Speidel 12L.