Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Starter from yeast expired 4 months ago  (Read 587 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Starter from yeast expired 4 months ago
« on: September 20, 2023, 04:56:08 pm »
I tried making a starter from a 1st gen repitch that was a couple months old. After a couple days, it smelled a bit like band aids and alcohol so I dumped it. My LHBS was all out of WLP002 and they weren't sure when they were getting more in. Seemed weird but whatever. I came home and took out a tube of expired WLP002 that's been in the kegerator forever. The expiration date was 4 months ago. Made a starter and after 4 days there was finally some activity. It smells a lot better than the repitch. Would making a second starter with it help build it up? Seems like I read that somewhere.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Starter from yeast expired 4 months ago
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 08:24:23 am »
What's the OG of the beer?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 02:18:34 am »

I was thinking my regular IPA recipe around 1.065-1.067. LHBS had dry Lallemand London in stock too. Maybe a good sub?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 02:34:43 am by Joe_Beer »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2023, 08:56:46 am »

I was thinking my regular IPA recipe around 1.065-1.067. LHBS had dry Lallemand London in stock too. Maybe a good sub?

I'd make a SNS starter with the 002. It's not that out of date. Probably,  the yeast don't even have a calender,  so they won't know.  ;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2023, 01:23:20 pm »
I'd make a SNS starter with the 002. It's not that out of date. Probably,  the yeast don't even have a calender,  so they won't know.  ;D

SNS didn't immediately pop up but I ended up at one of your articles anyways (https://brewsrq.com/blogs/you-can-brew-it/yeast-starters-the-shaken-not-stirred-method)? Thanks for the info! I'll give it whirl... or shake rather.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2023, 12:46:38 pm »
Denny's article on SNS (one of them anyway):
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/2020/12/09/shaken-not-stirred-the-stir-plate-myth-buster/

And probably the definitive explanation direct from the source:
https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70926
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 05:21:03 am »
To follow up, the SNS starter was active within a couple hours. By the afternoon, brew day was cleaned up and wort cooled to 65F.  SNS was in full swing so I pitched the whole jug. As Denny mentioned, there was no indication the yeast had any idea it was 4 months past expiration. The end result is just as good, if not notably better, than the recipe I normally brew. Guess I'll save a pint and use it again!