Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pilsner Haze - BJCP  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Pilsner Haze - BJCP
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2022, 11:14:28 am »
You say you just kegged 10 days ago, is this after extended lagering?   How many beers have you poured from keg?  It's possible it's just sediment that will clear after a few pours.   Also, I have had lagers occasionally that have a slight haze, but that when I bottle them for comps,  they drop crystal clear in the bottle.    Also if it's young and hazy, you could always enter it as a kellerbier.

This beer was cold crashed at 32F for 5 days, then transferred to the keg. Lagering for the last 12 days or so at 32, now 30. Gelatin was added at keg time. The one thing that is different, the malt was TexMalt. And this does seem to take longer to clear, for some reason.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2022, 07:09:23 am »
Update:
Pulled a small sample yesterday, and the beer showed significant improvement. If it continues to progress, we will bottle late this evening or early tomorrow morning, and this will be entered.

This particular beer was brewed specifically for the Bluebonnet (brew date - 12-31-21), as a fresh pale lager stands a better chance vs one that is weeks or months old.

Thanks to Jeffy for suggesting dropping the temp to 30F. We are at 29F now.

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2022, 07:31:49 am »
I’ve heard Charlie Bamforth say that chilling the beer to 29F will increase the speed of clearing the beer dramatically compared to lagering at 34-35F. I haven’t tried it yet, but I plan to in the future.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2022, 08:05:06 am »
I’ve heard Charlie Bamforth say that chilling the beer to 29F will increase the speed of clearing the beer dramatically compared to lagering at 34-35F. I haven’t tried it yet, but I plan to in the future.

I would agree. Before it was sitting at a balmy 32F. Dropping to 29F really seems to have made a difference. I think this beer will be brilliant by the end of today.
It's at 5.5% ABV, so it won't freeze until 28F.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2022, 10:44:40 am »
Update:
This beer was bottled late yesterday, and dropped off this morning with the other 30 bottles being entered.
On a diamond clarity rating, this would be judged internally flawless. A perfect rating would be flawless.
In a sample glass, at 42 F, the beer looks to be clear.

This is certainly the best of our 3 pilsners, and is the freshest.

Fingers crossed!