Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My Pub Project...  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
My Pub Project...
« on: January 28, 2022, 07:54:55 am »
Hey Beerheads:  I have been away from the board for awhile.  I moved into a new place in November and have not brewed since October.  After getting settled a little bit I started working on a room that's about 12x12 and just inside my townhome when you walk in from the garage and that I decided to turn into my "pub".

It started like this as office space when I first moved in:

It's hard to tell but the room is a mess.  Paint everywhere, walls were dinged, the flooring was poorly installed, etc. so I decided to scrap the whole thing and start over.

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: My Pub Project...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 07:59:04 am »
Formidable project, Ken.  Good luck!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 08:00:35 am »
I had some recessed lighting installed and I painted, swapped out all the switch plates, vent covers, etc.  I thought the pub needed some brick so I did some homework on that.  Swapped out the flooring, added some wainscoting, a TV, new trim, window treatment, draft lines (serving fridges are in the garage), etc.

There is more to do but you get the idea.  This was such a great distraction during a tough adjustment period I went through in my life.  The rest of my place needs work too but now I have this space to come and chill, grab a beer, watch a game, etc. I am also getting ready to brew my first batch in my new place.  I have everything I need I just have to get everything located and ready to go.  The weather needs to cooperate too.  Cheers Beerheads.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 08:37:37 am »
Awesome setup!!!!  Gonna save this thread and show it to my wife.  Might be a fun way to get one of the kids out of the house so I can use their room.  LOL.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 08:43:02 am »
I am marginally handy.  But they make such great products and such great tools now and with a bit of handiness and YT vids that have been shared by others who have already been down the same road, you're armed with a lot of weapons.  Clearly you need the time and the desire too.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 11:51:20 am »
Man, that is really impressive.  Looks great
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 11:53:30 am »
Good work Ken! I’m jealous
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 07:50:51 pm »
Looks awesome! Where's the kegerator? Trunk lines from a garage on the other side of the wall?

The dartboard makes my nostalgic. Whenever they legalized video gaming all the bars took out their dartboards so lost souls could stare blankly at a screen.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 09:09:24 pm »
Nice! Except that Titans/Bengals game you have on the TV. I'm still in a bad place over that.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2022, 08:12:50 am »
Looks awesome! Where's the kegerator? Trunk lines from a garage on the other side of the wall?
Four shanks through the wall and then two Danby 4.5cf fridges in the garage.  Two kegs and one CO2 tank in each fridge.  Cheers & thanks.

Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2022, 08:13:29 am »
Nice! Except that Titans/Bengals game you have on the TV. I'm still in a bad place over that.
At least your team made the postseason.   :(
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2022, 08:48:20 am »
Looks great and more (ful)filling!

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
  • Submarines once, Submarines Twice....
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2022, 03:21:45 pm »
High on my project list for the next house.  My wife wants a tiki bar, but it will likely be a mix of Pacific Islands and Southeast Asia after our travels.  I have great teak bar we brought back when we were stationed in Guam, but boy it did not like the two Maine winters it lived through. 
What did you use for the brick wall - is that sheets or individual tiles?

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 07:59:03 am »
High on my project list for the next house.  My wife wants a tiki bar, but it will likely be a mix of Pacific Islands and Southeast Asia after our travels.  I have great teak bar we brought back when we were stationed in Guam, but boy it did not like the two Maine winters it lived through. 
The brick is a "brick veneer" by a company called "Old Mill".  I ordered them through Home Depot.  They are individual bricks that are about 3/8" thick and they come in a variety of colors.  I think this one is called Castle Gate.  I used a Ryobi Micro saw with a tile blade to cut the ones that needed to be cut and I used a quick-drying, heaty duty adhesive by Liquid Nails to fasten them to the wall.  I used a grout bag to "squirt" the grout between the bricks.  A big job and I'm glad I chose to just do one wall.  I was SO glad when that wall was done.  :D  A "tropical" bar would be cool.  Lots of ways to accomplish that.  I envision a surfboard up on the wall.  :D  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
  • Submarines once, Submarines Twice....
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2022, 04:53:29 pm »
The brick is a "brick veneer" by a company called "Old Mill".  I ordered them through Home Depot.  They are individual bricks that are about 3/8" thick and they come in a variety of colors.  I think this one is called Castle Gate.  I used a Ryobi Micro saw with a tile blade to cut the ones that needed to be cut and I used a quick-drying, heaty duty adhesive by Liquid Nails to fasten them to the wall.  I used a grout bag to "squirt" the grout between the bricks.  A big job and I'm glad I chose to just do one wall.  I was SO glad when that wall was done.  :D  A "tropical" bar would be cool.  Lots of ways to accomplish that.  I envision a surfboard up on the wall.  :D  Cheers.

Thanks, the wall looks great.  Surfboard, we have several pieces of teak furniture from our tour in Guam.  A buddy of mine in Hawaii converted his board into his bar top.  The curves make it a little less than optimal though, too easy for stuff to fall off the edge.