Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can someone refresh my memory regarding S-04?  (Read 4581 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Can someone refresh my memory regarding S-04?
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2022, 04:55:42 am »
I just got 82% on my last batch with S-04, went from 1.073 to 1.013.  This was a Munich based beer that I mashed at 150 F for 65 minutes.  A different batch before that got 78%.  This is a good yeast.  Unlike some other yeasts, this one drops crystal clear after a few days; however I do have a chill haze on the current batch, not sure why, it does clear as it warms.

Still no fruitiness, no diacetyl, no sulfur, nothing off.  Very neutral, like you wish US-05 was but isn't.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 04:58:46 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2022, 08:11:10 am »
I just brewed an Amber Ale and a bitter with S04.  Bother we’re mashed at about 151F for 60 minutes. Both had approximately 8% caramel malts, 91% base malts, and 1% roasted malts for color. Both had 83% apparent attenuation.

Wow, nice!  That's very close to where I'd be hoping for (and I would likely be a % or three less on the Crystal). 

Thanks, Tommy.  I will have to do a series of split-batch comparisons with it.  This could potentially simplify my yeast arsenal in a good way.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2022, 08:19:21 am »
I think people put too much emphasis on yeast attenuation rating. It's simply a way of comparing one yeast to another and doesn't necessarikky have my bearing on the attenuation you can expect. I've had the experience of the same yeast giving me both 65 and 85%. I feel it's as least, if not more, dependent on wort.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2022, 09:33:53 am »
I think people put too much emphasis on yeast attenuation rating. It's simply a way of comparing one yeast to another and doesn't necessarikky have my bearing on the attenuation you can expect. I've had the experience of the same yeast giving me both 65 and 85%. I feel it's as least, if not more, dependent on wort.
Agree.
I've used S-04 twice, both times in a Stout.  I got 68% each time.   ;D

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2022, 10:02:57 am »
Agree.
I've used S-04 twice, both times in a Stout.  I got 68% each time.   ;D
That’s why I tried to describe the co tent of my wort with info about the ingredients and mash temp.

I just want the beer to taste good.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2022, 10:25:27 am »
I think tracking the average attenuation of S-04 in particular, and how it's clear to many that it's changed, over time, helps prove that it's not the same yeast strain today as it was 10-20 years ago.  There can be merit in paying attenuation to such things.  Not to every little anecdote, of course, but the overall trend of many people & many batches.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2022, 05:24:50 pm »
I got 76% the last time I used s-04 in a Summer Ale (Apr ‘21).