Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Any banjo players here?  (Read 3287 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Any banjo players here?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 07:57:31 pm »
I don't know how much banjos differ from guitars...I've tinkered with them, the principles are pretty much the same, albeit of course tuning differences and soundbox construction and such like.  A cheap banjo will not necessarily lead you on to greater heights of playing, but if you aren't prone to playing, it at least will represent a cheaper investment.  I've known plenty of folks who get motivated to play guitar, and then get convinced that they need to buy a Martin, and find out, wow, chords are going to take a few months of good work to get down right, and then they become an owner of a nicer guitar that many excellent guitarists don't even own. 

A cheap banjo is guaranteed to not be sufficient for most folks when they approach the advanced or even intermediate stage, but it just depends on how certain you are that you'll hit those stages...I still have my beginner stage guitars, an old used Yamaha superstrat from the 80s, and I love that thing, crappy neck and pickups notwithstanding.

Put it this way, if you can make a Rogue banjo sound as good as it can, then you'll be then at the level you can make a more expensive banjo sound great, and you'll probably be happy to spend the money.  But if you jump into name brand banjos, you're statistically likely to be the equivalent of that guy that bought the stainless conical fermentor cause he was told it was the best way and decided after his first batch that homebrewing wasn't for him.  :D  Good luck regardless!

I agree with all you say. Holding a Martin in your lap won't make you play like Doc Watson. But, as you get better and better a "cheaper" instrument will hit its limits and you can't get out of a rouge what you can out of a D-18.

Not starting too cheap is important also because at first you will want to emulate what you hear and know and what you hear and know isn't played on cheap junk. The first guitar I had was nothing more than a piece of plywood with a fence post nailed to it. It was an Oscar Schmidt which is an old Indian word for "one grade above Dog $^&t . I almost quit because of it. Luckily, I played a friend's better grade instrument and soon up graded which kept me with it. After about 30 years I finally own a Martin 8), not because it makes me a better player but because...well I've always wanted one. Now that I have it I wish I had it (and could have afforded it) 30 years ago.

Go find a banjo player somewhere and take them with you to evaluate what you want to buy in your price range so they can make sure it doesn't have any nasty buzzing and the neck is straight. Ask anyone of them and I guarantee they will be glad to help you out. But most important is get something. Learn music.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 08:30:16 pm »
I used to read music back in elementary school. Hopefully I can learn again.

Thanks for the help, guys. I may go and spend some of that birthday money. Then maybe find one of the 2 banjo players in New Jersey.  ;D
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 03:40:46 pm »
I love the sound of a banjo twanging along side the sound of a rolling river.  It's was born right here in America. Primitive forms of the instrument were fashioned by enslaved Africans in Colonial America, adapted from several African instruments.  It is definitely an American sound.

I am a bluegrass fan among many others. The tone of the banjo is very soothing and gratifying to me. I want to learn how to play myself. I play the guitar, bass, drums and sax, but the banjo is next on my list for sure.
Ron Price

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 06:53:38 pm »
Easy to learn, hard to master is what they say.

Just found out that a buddy of mine just gave away a 4-string... Damn!
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 07:34:00 am »

Just found out that a buddy of mine just gave away a 4-string... Damn!

yard sales.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 08:57:41 am »
I never learned to play the banjo but have always loved it (I'm mainly a piano / keyboards guy). 

One of these days though I will dust off this old "banjolin" that a long departed friend gave me many years ago.  It's probably more than 75 years old, a bit smaller than your average banjo (but not by much) and looks like one, except it is eight stringed and tuned like a mandolin.  It doesn't need major work and I've already spoken to a luthier about it and the job won't be too terribly expensive. 

Hopefully I'll finally learn to play the thing before the ol' arthritis gets worse!
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 11:10:17 am »
My girlfriend got me a Washburn B-9 banjo a few years ago for xmas. It was about $200-$250. I have a long way to go before Earl Scruggs gets worried, but this thing seems fine for a beginner and it doesn't take long to sound like an ok player. It's easier if you already know the guitar, but it's not too tough to pick up. There are plenty of sites on how to play too.

My only warning is that even without using fingerpicks, a banjo is REALLY LOUD.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 06:05:37 pm »

It actually plays you :D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee