Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP644 Saccharomyces "Bruxellensis" Trois  (Read 1131 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
WLP644 Saccharomyces "Bruxellensis" Trois
« on: January 29, 2022, 09:05:41 am »
This yeast used to be a hot topic when it was thought to be Brett based. I haven't seen much about it after it was determined to be saccharomyces. Do people still brew with it? Is it a good yeast but got overrun by the hazy IPA craze? Other thoughts?

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: WLP644 Saccharomyces "Bruxellensis" Trois
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 09:21:01 am »
I've used it several times for IPAs. That was a few years ago, but I remember it well. I think it's a good strain. What I got out of it was exactly as the White Lab's description says: delicate mango and pineapple, slight tartness. No phenolics, just fruitiness. Dry hopping can overwhelm and somewhat negate the fruit esters, though. Even though it's STA1 positive, the attenuation I got was on par with Chico.

Offline jverduin

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 07:48:41 am »
Imperial Yeast has this strain sold as Citrus. I have used their blend sold as Dry Hop, which includes this strain. It is one of my favorite IPA strains. It produces a slightly tart finish with a decent amount of esters. I usually spilt my NEIPA batches and use this blend in one, and London III in the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hoursmoggy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 01:13:11 am »
Imperial Yeast has this strain sold as Citrus. I have used their blend sold as Dry Hop, which includes this strain. It is one of my favorite IPA strains. It produces a slightly tart finish with a decent amount of esters. I usually spilt my NEIPA batches and use this blend in one, and London III in the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the information. I think I will like it. Will definitely try.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 10:54:36 am »
It has a ton of the over ripe pineapple character and finishes with a very slight tart finish.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 05:01:51 pm »
It certainly had a lot more hype when it was sold as a brett strain. Once it no longer seemed like a magic strain, a lot of the hype died off. What little interest seemed to drop off around the time diastaticus strains became boogeymen of brewing.

Now it's just one of the many strains out there that generates very little interest.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 09:11:58 am »
It certainly had a lot more hype when it was sold as a brett strain. Once it no longer seemed like a magic strain, a lot of the hype died off. What little interest seemed to drop off around the time diastaticus strains became boogeymen of brewing.

Now it's just one of the many strains out there that generates very little interest.
I never cared for the character of it, too much overripe fruity character and I didnt care for the finish.